Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Outback with 204,000 miles that is seeping oil onto the engine. Not enough to make a difference in oil level between changes, but enough for it to be smoking pretty good after driving up the big hill to my house. This is the original engine. I'm a rookie at auto repairs, but this spring I've successfully fallen in love with the local scrapyard and replaced the muffler and 2 doors for under $60.

Is this a gasket replacement job? Or a sign of something larger. Would love some tips at what to look for and any repair advice to expand my education.

I don't believe it is related, but my CEL is on for a dying knock sensor. Still getting 25 mpg and light is intermittent so I'm holding out for a $4 replacement from the scrapyard (every Subaru they have was stripped of this sensor...interesting)

I'm going to guess that it's a valve cover--the fact that it only happens when he's on an incline suggests that it's not leaking from anywhere there is oil pressure, or else it would be a constant leak.

Get some gunk or degreaser and wash the area down really well, drive it a bit then look for fresh oil.

Much like military equipment - as they say if you get on the bird and there isn't hydraulic fluid visibile leaking from something - get back off cause it doesn't have any left. :lol:

Subaru's leak - that's pretty much their deal. If it's leaking on the exhaust it's probably something simple like valve covers, etc. Torn CV boots like to do that as well and it's worse because the CV grease is thick enough that it doesn't easily fall off or burn away quick.

GD

I'll probably be blasted for this but... It's a 97. It's 13 years old. It probably has close to 200 k on the clock. You could invest a bunch of time and money in fixing something that will probably spring a new leak somewhere else next week. Drop in a pint of stop leak for $8.00 and forget about it.

I'll probably be blasted for this but... It's a 97. It's 13 years old. It probably has close to 200 k on the clock. You could invest a bunch of time and money in fixing something that will probably spring a new leak somewhere else next week. Drop in a pint of stop leak for $8.00 and forget about it.

+1 on above. I have a 99 that leaks oil from somewhere, prolly mostly valve covers. With high mileage and age, I have a hard time justifying time and money on tear downs just to fix minor oil leaks. With my last oil change, I aded a pint of oil stop leak, and it has helped a lot. My oil drips on the drive way have practically ceased. I will prolly add a pint of stop leak at all future oil changes.

I'd still find out where it's coming from so you can judge if it's worth fixing or not. Maybe it's OK to ignore it... maybe it's not? Find out =) For example: CV boots and oil pressure sending units really should be replaced soon rather than ignoring them.

Smoke is never a good thing; even on leaky Subarus =P The smell of smoke is a great indicator of not only a leak but also what exactly is leaking. If you start to ignore smoke (or even burnt fluid smell) because "it always does that" then you're doing yourself a disservice.... and let's face it... a disservice to the people behind you! =P

If it's bad enough to actually cause physically visible smoke then you really should find out exactly what's going on. While I, and others, have said that it's normal for Subarus to sweat some oil... it's not normal to produce smoke from this. It usually means you get a few drips on the driveway and a gooey mess on the underside of the engine... not smoke.