Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any luck with Brat calipers on rockauto?

I searched, and I found that people recommended the calipers from rockauto. Nobody reported any fitment issues or getting EA82 parts (like I usually do:mad:). I bought the 3rd and 4th ones down on this link:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1267747&parttype=1704

The part numbers are 0790523 and 0790524. When I got them, they had these weird brackets coming out. I searched, and found no warnings or anything, but I'm still not sure what to make of these. My memory isn't that great, but I REALLY don't remember them having those. Here are pics:

2010-06-08%2022.01.49.jpg

You can see in this one the big bracket coming off the bottom right and some kind of brake line holder that looks too small to use:

2010-06-08%2022.01.27.jpg

Thanks.

Jacob

I just looked at my wagon and those are correct. I guess I'm used to looking at EA82 and EJ caliper brackets these days.

That's actually pretty cool that it came with the whole bracket - usually they just come as a bare caliper in my experience.

But yes - those are 100% correct EA81 calipers. The brake line holder is for the e-brake cable.

GD

I just looked at my wagon and those are correct. I guess I'm used to looking at EA82 and EJ caliper brackets these days.

That's actually pretty cool that it came with the whole bracket - usually they just come as a bare caliper in my experience.

But yes - those are 100% correct EA81 calipers. The brake line holder is for the e-brake cable.

GD

That's weird. I don't remember that bracket being on there at all. I wonder if that's one of the many things my Brat came without.

Jacob

The bracket holds the pads - it's there.

It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like those are for non-vented discs... but it's hard to tell. What year did you order them for? Vented discs didn't come out till '83.5

GD

I got them for an '85. I usually specify '84 to avoid EA82 parts. Here's the compatibility chart for them from the rockauto website. It looks ok:

SUBARU BRAT GL (1984 - 1987)

SUBARU BRAT GL TURBO 1984

SUBARU DL 1984

SUBARU GL (1984 - 1987)

Jacob

P.S. Self-hijack trivia question: What wattage lamps come in an '85 Brat high-beam?

I got them for an '85. I usually specify '84 to avoid EA82 parts. Here's the compatibility chart for them from the rockauto website. It looks ok:

SUBARU BRAT GL (1984 - 1987)

SUBARU BRAT GL TURBO 1984

SUBARU DL 1984

SUBARU GL (1984 - 1987)

Jacob

P.S. Self-hijack trivia question: What wattage lamps come in an '85 Brat high-beam?

verify that they fit over vented rotors please, then report back. I am the one here who thinks rockauto does not know there are vented rotors on these, they are wrong. please update me.

verify that they fit over vented rotors please, then report back. I am the one here who thinks rockauto does not know there are vented rotors on these, they are wrong. please update me.

Certainly. You were right about the retarded "rear mount" they sold me last year.

Jacob

I bought a set of loaded calipers from them for the '86 BRAT. Looks just like the ones you posted pic of.

Measure the gap between the pads in the new ones. It should be much more than 1/2". Don't recall thickness of either solid or vented rotors right now. But the solid ones are like 3/8" or so, way less than the vented ones.

Vented are .70in and solids are .49in

Thanks Rob.

I'm not into measuring things, but last night I pulled my front right wheel off and managed to slide the caliper (with pads installed) over the rotor. I had about 1/8" or so of clearance. There should be no clearance at all if I got the wrong calipers, right?

Jacob

You have vented rotors, right?

If they were the wrong ones, they would not have fit.

They're not fancy Brembos like yours, but yeah, they're vented:) I thought that would be the case, given how different the widths were.

Jacob

• 2 weeks later...

With no USMB to peruse, I decided to put these new calipers on.

The brackets they sent don't fit. They have the wrong size hole for the bolts to go through. Fortunately, I was able to reuse my existing brackets.

2010-06-11%2018.44.21.jpg

Here they are on the Brat. So yes, these ones do fit vented EA81 rotors.

2010-06-11%2018.43.36.jpg

I hate having spare parts after a brake job...

2010-06-12%2016.24.42.jpg

Jacob

These people had them right on the shelf for my '78 BRAT:

http://www.kaliper.com/

They're local to me and have pretty much any caliper you could want.

Recently, Tim needed them for an unknown dropped axle for his '50 Ford truck. He brought the axle over and the guy came out and looked at it, fitted him right up. They know their stuff!