Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy thermostat questions

My daughter tells me the temp gauge has not shot up, but I checked the top hose was really hot and the bottom was air temp. Never was replaced.

I had got a thermostat last year and it came with a rubber ring, not with the flat gasket I have always seen. If this is the correct gasket , do I need a sealer? thanks

No sealant needed for the housing that bolts to the water pump. Hit those bolts with some PB Blaster before you get started; the heads like to twist off and that's never fun.

The rubber seal slips over the rim of the t-stat.... tounge and grove style. There is a thin groove along the inner side of the seal. The razor thin edge of the t-stat slips into that. When you pull out the old t-stat and pull off that seal you'll see how it works. Also note the orientation of the t-stat in the water pump so you put the new one in correctly.

If you have no idea when the last time the hoses were replaced then I'd replace them... now you know! =)

Top hose should be HOT. That's where the engine pumps water out and in to the radiator. The water pump sucks it in from the bottom of the radiator. Also note that the bottom hose has an extra sleeve over it on the elbow so it's nearly twice as thick as the upper hose; this can mask how hot it really feels because there's more insulation around it.

Edited by MorganM

Rear Wheel bearing sound question I didn't see the post button so I'm jumping in here. The sound is a clunk clunk clunk when backing up and turning the wheel to the right. Is this a wheel bearing or differential going out. There is no sound going straight and forward.

Rear Wheel bearing sound question I didn't see the post button so I'm jumping in here. The sound is a clunk clunk clunk when backing up and turning the wheel to the right. Is this a wheel bearing or differential going out. There is no sound going straight and forward.

that would probably be your differential.

when my wheel bearing started going out i had to ask a friend of mine WTF is that sound. he said it was the bearing. sound got worse. and worse. then i fixed it.

Suggest you post above as a new thread. You will get more response to your question.