Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Pad Suggestion, The Dealer wants How Much?

Hello All,

New member, first post, been lurkin for a while. You gotta love forums. I'm involved in the Bimmer community for about 15 years, have learned so much and hope to do the same here. We (my wife) has an 06 Outback wgn, 55K miles, 2.5 engine. Went to the dealer the other day for a 9.99 oil change special, couldn't have done it cheaper myself! So, of course as I'm waiting, the SA comes by and says I need new pads on all wheels and resurface the rotors, to the tune of just shy of $800! I start laughing inside, I guess people really say yes to that. Anyway, you know my answer, took the oil change and ran. That said, which pads should I get so I can do it myself? I did a search, and most of what I read was geared more toward high performance. I do want to upgrade the pad, the brakes aren't all that great. I came across Akebono? Not familiar, impressions and what other suggestions may you all have for "regular" style of driving.

Thanks,

Stockybod

Hello All,

New member, first post, been lurkin for a while. You gotta love forums. I'm involved in the Bimmer community for about 15 years, have learned so much and hope to do the same here. We (my wife) has an 06 Outback wgn, 55K miles, 2.5 engine. Went to the dealer the other day for a 9.99 oil change special, couldn't have done it cheaper myself! So, of course as I'm waiting, the SA comes by and says I need new pads on all wheels and resurface the rotors, to the tune of just shy of $800! I start laughing inside, I guess people really say yes to that. Anyway, you know my answer, took the oil change and ran. That said, which pads should I get so I can do it myself? I did a search, and most of what I read was geared more toward high performance. I do want to upgrade the pad, the brakes aren't all that great. I came across Akebono? Not familiar, impressions and what other suggestions may you all have for "regular" style of driving.

Thanks,

Stockybod

Personally when it comes to Subarus I only use OEM, I have had so many problems with NAPA and such and all different types of aftermarket pads ( problems such as fitment, noise etc...), I would go OEM on the pads. As for the rotors, if you pull them off yourself and bring them in to have them machined ( if they are in spec and not rusted/damaged significantly) it should be substantially cheaper, If you decide to replace them I have never really had a problem with aftermarkets here, So I would say aftermarket rotors and OEM pads...

Pretty much an kind of Ceramic pads will be a big improvment. I myself am partial to EBC brake pads. They are pricey, but well worth it when you really need those brakes to work.

Others to consider. Ate, (Ah-Tay) they produce OE parts for lots of European makes, including Mercedes Benz, Audi, Peugeot, possibly BMW as well?

Akebono as you've already read about.

On the less expensive side, you might be pleasantly surprised by a set of Duralast Gold ceramic pads from Autozone of all places.

Hello All,

Thanks,

Stockybod

I had the same question. I wanted better stopping ability for my '97 Impreza wagon (my daily driver as well as my rallycross car) without modifying the brakes or going in for the red, yellow and green racing pads that were out there. I put the question to Paul Eklund at Primitive Racing (http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/) and he supplied me with a set of pads that work very well for me. They wear well without gouging the rotor and stop my car much better than my previous pads. I believe they come from Australia. Price didn't break the bank either.

Brake options are MIND NUMBING. i agree with ceramics, i've been really pleased with them.

that being said i'd pay more attention to replacing all the clips than pad types.

i like the Adaptive One ceramics ( i think they're called) from Napa, but they're not cheap. but they come with new clips.

i don't use them anymore but from past experience the cheap ones dont' seem to last very long but otherwise dont' perform all that terrible in subaru's. i'd get a mid to high range name brand pad from a parts store and be done with it. i think there's a lot of marketing fat out there for the average daily driver folks like me.

I tried the Hawk HPS, but didn't really like them. When they wore out, I went to PosiQuiet semi-metallics (http://store.r1concepts.com/store/search.aspx?key=av09874&submit=Search); they have great feel and there was no fade even after 8 back-to-back stops from 60 mph. They do smoke big-time during break-in, but that's their only downside - no noise, low dust, good modulation, high coefficient of friction even when cold.