Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had my dash repaired due to a unauthorized radio removal. Now the lights under the control buttons are sometimes on and sometimes off.When the lights work so do the buttons. When the lights don't light the vents won't switch from say dash vents to defrost or floor heater. Could this just be a loose wire somewhere when the body shop reassembled the dash? They did screw up and connected the wires under the dash that caused my CEL to flash. Do the lights and the movement of the vents go together or is it just a coincidence? Hopefully it's something simple.

97 legacy

Edited by JohnKos
added year and model

I am thinking that wiring connectors were incorrectly to the wrong power source. Like you said, some other wires were incorrectly connected to cause your CEL response. If it hasn't been too long since repairs were made, take your car back to who did the work, and let them sort out what should properly connect to what.

Years back, I had the same problem, and had a devil of a time trying to get things connected properly. Finally, I went to a wrecking yard, found a same year Subaru, and marked down on paper what color wires in what male connector plugged into what female connector. That helped a lot to finally get all wiring to work properly.