Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 4WD Wagon new daily driver with future EJ swap

Two weeks ago I bought this 1984 EA81 Wagon 4WD. It is in decent shape, but I want to replace the outer sills with custom made ones out of thicker, better quality steel. Besides that, it needs some welding on the rear wheel arches and a new paint job as my wife doesn't like the Moss Green.

It has a few nice factory options like power steering, electric mirrors and a 3.889 rear plate LSD!

I will register the car next week and once I got the plates and pass the road worthiness test I will start work on it. Things to do:

- body work (see above)

- EJ engine swap and install LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) fuel system

- EJ AWD D/R 3.900 5-speed gearbox swap

- EJ series front hubs/brakes and rear Cross Bred 5-lug disk brake kit

- install dash with extended instrument cluster

- find beige Forester seats

- finish chrome bumper swap

Bild0339.jpg

Bild0340.jpg

Bild0341.jpg

Bild0342.jpg

Bild0281.jpg

Edited by LeoneTurbo

That's what I wondered too :)

I'm sure it will work just fine with my 3.900 EJ-box as the ratio is only 0.3% off.

I was amazed it had that plate diff, I didn't even notice it until I was driving behind it on the way home from picking it up, there was a shiny sticker on the diff...

:banana:

I bought a bunch of new spares from an ex-dealer and they also gave me the original showroom colour cards so that makes it easier to pick a colour. We're now debating either Extra Black (code 74) or Reef Blue (code 46) for the paint job.

Edited by LeoneTurbo

Awaiting presentation of the car for registrattion, I modified the instrument cluster I'm planning to install:

Bild0347.jpg

I removed the speed sensor signal thing from the unit Jim (ruparts) kindly sent me, and installed it on the European speedo. I need the speed signal for the JDM engine ECU I'm going to use.

New updates and pics will follow.

Edited by LeoneTurbo
Link to pics updated

• 2 weeks later...

First relevant upgrade done: master cylinder of a 1993 Legacy:

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

Still have to bleed the brakes and modify the sensor/connector for the brake fluid light.

Now all I have to do to pass the annual road worthiness test is swap the exhaust manifold as it's got a few holes. Oh and the clutch is almost gone but that will have to wait for the EJ swap.

• 4 weeks later...

New update... The brakes are fine now, right front CV has been swapped but the 'new' one also clonks :grin:

I picked up a free set of coil over Bilsteins (off a 2003 WRX) which had a broken spring. They are the PS9 version which means they are adjustable. The dampers themselves seem to be fine still. I'm calculating spings which fit the weight of the car better and make them not so harsh... Obviously, I will only be using the front struts. I expect my second hand adjustable top mount to arrive in the next few days so I can modify it to fit the standard 2-bolt pattern on the body.

bilsteins.jpg

Another update is a contemporary steering wheel... The boss I bought new in Japan, the steering wheel off Ebay Germany. I already started sanding it as it was slightly worn but that is a hell of a job - so that will take a while. I want to stain the wheel slightly darker brown/mahony before applying new layers of clear coat.

new_wheel.jpg

Looking really nice BTW. That's a really neat EA81 with some special features it looks like.

Curious - is the source for those steering wheel adaptors still around? We in the states might like some if you can get them or point us in the right direction?

GD

I bought it from Yahoo Japan Auctions, I get parts via Japan Auction Centre. They are readily available new.

• 3 weeks later...

So I recently purchased the following parts for this 'project':

- EA81T air filter housing

- EA81T front cross member

- EA81T fuel tank

- EA81 a/c evap unit

I also started working on the engine for this car, and the plans have changed a bit since I first started this topic. From a n/a EJ20 SOHC to this:

- EJ20 open deck crank case with oil squirters from a JDM STI Version 1

- EJ16 short throw crank and long rods (rod/stroke ratio is 2.05)

- 48mm ACL Race rod bearings

- EJ20 n/a pistons with new rings

The shortblock is assembled and ready for the heads:

- EJ22T USDM heads with Delta 220 cams

- STI Version 3/4 metal cylinder heads (11044AA463)

Calculated compression ratio is 8.4, which is (almost) perfect for the small(ish) TF035 turbocharger I will be using on the engine (available on AUDM and EUDM Forester S-Turbo or 2.0XT EJ205 engine, developed 177 hp and 175 lb-ft on really low boost). Engine management is nothing fancy: a JDM ECU from a 1998 WRX Wagon. With a TD04 it developed 250 PS and 225 lb-fit on a 2L, so my 1748cc engine (bore 92, stroke 65.8 mm) will give about 190 PS.

Edited by LeoneTurbo

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments.

A quick write-up on all the specs that have changed:

Engine

EJ18 with high compression pistons, ported cylinder heads and post-2006 equal length exhaust manifold and 2" exhaust system (short stroke turbo engine ditched due to cost of the entire setup). I expect 125 hp @ 5500 rpm and 125 lb-fit @ 4500 rpm.

Tranmission

Single range AWD EJ 5MT with 3.9 final drive and long ratios for smooth and frugal highway cruising (60 mph is 2400 rpm). I hope to get between 30 and 33 mpg depending on how fast I travel (usually around 85 mph).

Interior

Ditched the wooden wheel for an original 4-spoke wheel which will be re-trimmed in black leather. I pruchased a set of WRX front seats which will be trimmed in beige vinyl and so will be the original rear seat.

• 4 weeks later...

Bild0992.jpg

Arriving home...

Bild0993.jpg

Arriving home...

Bild0994.jpg

Assembling the door and window mechanisms (note the new grommets)...

Bild0995.jpg

After half a day of work (and a lot of muscle ache, weatherstrips are a pain to install even when some are new).

Bild0997.jpg

Luckily I got help installing the grommets from my two sons...

Wonderful Job, I Really Like what you are Doing to that Subie, it Looks Really Nice that I Can't Wait to see the Final Look!

The 3.889 Rear LSD Differential Ratio is done by nine pinion gears and thirtyfive ring gears, (9/35) isn't it?

Could you post more photos of that Differential?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo