Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(95 Impreza 2.2 80K)

It appears that the cam seals don't leak with near the frequency that the crank and oil pump seals leak. If you are doing the timing belt and the oil pump seals, is it really necessary to do the cam seals if they are NOT leaking? I know at 130 or 140K, (Next belt), I will do them, but should this always be done with the first belt?

Thanks Much...

Todd

I'd do the cam seals while you're in there. One of the cam seals suddenly went on my '98 OBW in January and the car started leaking copious quantities of oil. It had just turned over 100,000 mi. I don't have the same engine as the one in your car, but I don't see why the same problem couldn't happen. It would be unfortunate to have to re-open the t-belt cover to deal with a leaking cam seal.

When my 97 Legacy was in warranty I had a cam seal leak and it was fixed by the dealer. Now it has 275,000 miles and I have never replaced another one. However I have had to replace the crank seal twice. Had I replaced one that was not leaking it might have started. I am a big fan of the Gold Eagle stop leak since I used it for my rear engine seal leak around 150,000 miles nothing has started leaking again. Except the radiator so I put Barrs no leak in it and it has stopped (for now) And yes I know most Subaru owners would never put these in their cars, and I would probably not put them in anything with less than a 100,000 miles.