Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy 4eat & obd I questions

Good evening all. I've got a couple of different questions that I'm hoping I can knock out with one thread.

I recently acquired a 95 Legacy L with 4eat that has some transmission problems. The CEL is on right now as well. As I understand it there are 2 sets of plugs under the dash, one with green connectors and the other with black connectors, that I can connect to get a trouble code. I found the green set that had about 3 wires/pins, but I only found one black plug, which had 5 or 6 wires/pins. I found a couple of black wires hanging next to the black plug which both have the same color coding (black with gold ticks). They both have little blades/pins on them that appear to be the same size as the receptacles in the black plug, so I'm thinking maybe the plug just got shucked off somehow. (see picture at this link: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dptyrob/Subaru/0702001924.jpg). Do these loose wires look like the ones that would plug in to get a diagnostic code, and if so, does anyone know where they would plug in on the remaining black plug? I don't want to go poking around in there trying things randomly for fear I'll fry something.

Anyway, onto my next subject. The transmission was/is experiencing some lag engaging, sometimes doesn't downshift when you're trying to accelerate hard, and sometimes disengages for a few moments between gears when up shifting. I had read the tremendously long thread hear about flushing the tranny with synthetic fluid and adding a quart of trans-x, so I am prepared to give that a try, I just wanted to clean the filter screen out before I did that. This evening I dropped the pan and observed some extremely fine, copper-colored glitter-type residue in the transmission fluid:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dptyrob/Subaru/0702001957.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/dptyrob/Subaru/0702001956a.jpg

Of the larger fleck or two that you may observe in the picture, neither of these pieces will stick to a magnetic. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns about what we're seeing here. Also, what is the best way to clean the filter screen. I didn't really see or feel any problem through the intake opening, but I'd like to clean it while I've got it apart.

Thanks

Hi,

There is only 1 wire for each plug of the black/green connectors, as shown in your pic (look @ the green connectors). But I've read on here not to use those for diagnostics on the '95+ cars (they DO work on the '90-94 Legacy/'93-94Impreza). Black is for stored codes; green is for active codes; use both to clear codes....again only 'for sure' safe to use on the older, OBD1 cars.

I'm 99% sure your car is OBD2 and has the port under the driver's side dash - usually has a little cover to open - EXAMPLE. I'd find a local auto parts store that'll let you borrow (or do it for you) their scanner.

Although I've done my share of 4EAT replacements, I'm no mechanic and can't diagnose your issues. I would start w/a drain/refill/drive a couple miles/shift manually thru the gears, repeat 3x, - Don't Flush it. It'll cost you a few gallons of ATF, which is a lot cheaper than the rebuild/replace tranny option- I wouldn't worry about using synthetic for trouble-shooting. Also, I'd search on here some more about the filter/screen...sure it's been covered.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

I saw that port you're talking about. Wasn't quite sure if it was OBD II or not, though I know some cars went ahead and switched to OBD II in 95. I'll have to see about getting someone to scan it for me then. Thanks.

don't bother with the "filter", it's not even a filter. it's only a screen.

first step with trans issues is always replacing the fluid. i've seen so many cars with the original trans fluid it's not even funny.

it does sound like yours is experiencing failure but good to check to be sure.

does your transmission light AT or TEMP or whatever it is, blink 16 times at initial start up?

that sounds normal then. check that CEl and see what it is. Trans uses TPS input from the engine so it's unlikely the CEL is related but could be. sometimes folks confuse trans performance and actual engine issues, hard to tell if it's really acting strange.