Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Postal Legacy, transmission cooling lines.

I have a leaky transmission cooling line on our 97 Postal Legacy.

It isd pretty crusty and needs replacing.

I can tell it has a special end on it for attaching to the tranny.

Is this a dealer part only?

Anyone ever changed these before?

Is it easy/hard to reach?

Or should I bite the bullet and take it to someone.

I should replace both of them while I'm at it.

Ahnd does anyone know if the Postal legacy cooling lines are different than the regular Subaru?

i would imagine they're set up exactly the same, it's cost-prohibitive to design completely different systems without a compelling reason.

are you positive it's a special fitting? maybe it only looks like it is? Subaru's for decades have always been just rubber and metal hoses with only clamps holding it all together.

if it really isn't a hose and typical clamp you should post a picture, doesnt' sound familiar.

if rust and stuff is bad sometimes it's simpler to just replace it all. i typically just run new hose straight from the trans to the radiator, or an aftermarket cooler ($30 at the parts store, get the smallest one). bypassing all the metal lines and such, makes it simpler to install and fewer clamps/joints that way too. that might be the easiest way to do it yourself - just get the aftermarket cooler and run all new line, bypassing all the old hoses, radiator, everything. then all you need to do is slide the new hose over the inlet/outlets at the trans side.

What I see is a metal cooling line with an eyelet? on the end with a bolt going through it.

The upper one is leaking, and crusty with rust.

It is located on the (facing forward) left side of the transmission.

It goes mid way back onto the transmission, and looks hard to reach due to the tunnel.

The lower line is also attached with an eyelet with a bolt going through it, but looks much more accessable. These extend forwards to where the rubber line attaches.

They remind me of a frot flexible brake hose set up with a line with an attaching bolt, instead of a brass flare type fitting.

i would imagine they're set up exactly the same, it's cost-prohibitive to design completely different systems without a compelling reason.

are you positive it's a special fitting? maybe it only looks like it is? Subaru's for decades have always been just rubber and metal hoses with only clamps holding it all together.

if it really isn't a hose and typical clamp you should post a picture, doesnt' sound familiar.

if rust and stuff is bad sometimes it's simpler to just replace it all. i typically just run new hose straight from the trans to the radiator, or an aftermarket cooler ($30 at the parts store, get the smallest one). bypassing all the metal lines and such, makes it simpler to install and fewer clamps/joints that way too. that might be the easiest way to do it yourself - just get the aftermarket cooler and run all new line, bypassing all the old hoses, radiator, everything. then all you need to do is slide the new hose over the inlet/outlets at the trans side.

As for "different" systems.

There are plenty of different systems on a Postal Legacy as opposed to an american left hand steer car.

They are really not designed differently, they are the normal ones as that is the practice in Japan, and a lot of other countries where these cars are the normal ones with steering on the right.

The American cars on the left, are the onses designed different.

But here I amin America, with the odd ball RHD Legacy.

It sounds like what you're talking about is the banjo bolt where the line attaches to the transmission. That's a hollow bolt that allows the fluid to flow through it. I had some rotted trans cooler lines on my '94 and I just replaced the entire length with hose.

If I were doing it, if at least a few inches of the line coming off the trans were good, I'd probably just cut the line off and put a hose onto it.

It sounds like what you're talking about is the banjo bolt where the line attaches to the transmission. That's a hollow bolt that allows the fluid to flow through it. I had some rotted trans cooler lines on my '94 and I just replaced the entire length with hose.

If I were doing it, if at least a few inches of the line coming off the trans were good, I'd probably just cut the line off and put a hose onto it.

Line is pretty crusty, and how do you cut it in that location?

I was wondering if those lines were readily available, or something that has to be ordered?

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=11587

They don't seem to have a selection for the Postal Legacy. You may want to call them and see if these will fit your car. Likely will be fun to change. You could try taking the banjo fitting to a performance shop and see if they can make you a short pipe to attach a hose to?

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oempartscat.html

Same part number: 45522AC152 is $38 there vs $44 from first place. Shipping not included so check wih your local dealer to see their price and compare.

Edited by Mike104

If you want to cut it, would probably have to remove the line, i.e. undo the banjo fitting, and then cut it with a tubing cutter. If you can fit a dremel up in there that might work but of course will make metal filings. Or possibly make a rough cut with bolt cutters or something in the line, then remove the banjo to just get the banjo and a few inches of the pipe with it and make a cleaner cut. Could also possibly flare the end of the line a bit if desired to make a tighter fit for hose. When I did this on my '94 I think I 3/8" id hose, it was a little loose in some spots but I used several hose clamps on it. The banjo likely has sealing washers on it that generally should be replaced if it is removed but many people just reuse them.

nice hit, banjo bolts on both ends of the trans line.

call subaru and see if they can get it? there's enough around that they should have some resource for checking into postal vehicle parts.

there are shops that make gas and brake lines that can do this for you too.

you could probably also "convert" the banjo style fitting to something simpler. i'd personally be tempted to take the banjo bolt to the hardware store, match threads to something that will allow me to just slide a hose over the end with a clamp, then install an aftermarket cooler that uses regular hose.