Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having some bearing problems

I got new bearings and a CV axle for my 91 Loyale because i blew up the old ones. I pressed the bearings in, then go to slide the CV axle in, and it stops on the bearing. I took the CV back out and returned it, getting a different brand that has worked everytime in the past. This one didnt fit either, but both axles that I had tried fit with the old bearing. What is going on?

Ya i did that and they were different. I actually went back up to napa and had them pull out ALL their subaru CV axles and the subaru bearings that they stock did not fit a single axle. So i guess the question is, where can i get some bearings that will actually work?

How close to fitting are they? Are you expecting the axle to just slide through the bearings? I've had to use the axle nut and spacers to pull the axle through the bearings. It's a press fit putting the axle in and pushing it back out.

I like the newer stuff a lot better where the axle pops right out after you pull the nut off.

They werent that close to fitting, the closest bearing was .002 smaller than my original, and another one we tried was .003 off. So moral of the story here is, dont get anything at napa. I'm trying to avoid the dealer if I can, I guess Ill ask around at O'reillys/AutoZone/whatev.

:lol:

This is a light interferance fit application. Interferance is normal and expected. The axle needs to be pulled through the bearings with a little bit of force. They do not typically just "slide" together unless the axle is slightly undersized and the bearings are cheap and oversized or something is worn. With all new components they will be tight and you will not be able to install the axle by hand. That is by design. Pry it through the bearings with some large screwdrivers or pry-bars using the axle nut/washers to pry on.

The bearings are standard 6207's - you won't find any differences in the one's from the dealer other than a huge difference in price. Any bearing house stocks them for $5 to $10 each depending on the quality you want. They will also have -2RS sealed bearings.

GD

:lol:

This is a light interferance fit application. Interferance is normal and expected. The axle needs to be pulled through the bearings with a little bit of force. They do not typically just "slide" together unless the axle is slightly undersized and the bearings are cheap and oversized or something is worn. With all new components they will be tight and you will not be able to install the axle by hand. That is by design. Pry it through the bearings with some large screwdrivers or pry-bars using the axle nut/washers to pry on.

The bearings are standard 6207's - you won't find any differences in the one's from the dealer other than a huge difference in price. Any bearing house stocks them for $5 to $10 each depending on the quality you want. They will also have -2RS sealed bearings.

GD

Perfectly stated GD.

I have installed the sealed bearings and the shielded bearings. I've had the best luck with the shielded one's. The sealed bearings rubber seal always seams to break down, chewed up, melted some how... The shielded are steel covers on either side. I have not yet had a problem with these. But remember shielded doesn't mean sealed.

-cody