Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's Flasher unit??

I was told that the flasher unit on the mid '80s wagons was under the hood in plain view & easy to change. Not so on this '86 1.8 liter wagon. I'm thinking it's up under the dash somewhere but I can't even get my hand up in the area over the clutch & brake pedal to feel around for it. This shouldn't be so vexing, for Pete's sake, it's only a flasher and one should expect to have to change it. TD

Hear THE SUBARU SONG @ <http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tomdemarest>

Tell me it ain't so ... but I think the flasher on my '86 2WD GL Wagon is part of the entire assembly that only slips off the steering column after removing the steering wheel! This assemply includes the directional lever, 4way flasher switch and high beam switch!!! I've removed the top & bottom plastic covers and the few times the directionals or 4 ways flash, the only clicking I hear is coming from that switch & nothing up under the dash where most of the posts have told me to look. I can feel that assembly clicking as well. The dealer can't tell me for sure but something in that circuit costs $100 plus!! If this is what I'm up against, has anyone ever repaired an intermittant unit?? TD

Lets keep this in one thread please.

Now, from what I've seen in the EA82's I've owned, the relay is a silver cylinder above the fuse panel under the dash. It could be that yours has moved and is laying on the steering column, therefore making the sound transfer up there.

Or I could be completely wrong too :rolleyes:

I'll take a look in my 86 FSM and see what I can find.

Looks like everything I'm finding says its incorporated into the switch.

Edited by Turbone

This seems to be the sad fact that you must replace that entire unit when the flasher fails. How come this little fact is not well known? Has anyone ever repaired one? Seems like it could only be dirty or corroded contacts. TD

• 2 years later...

i realize this is way late on this forum but hopefully this will help other people with a similar problem

there is no turn signal flasher or relay, its a combination switch, but there is a fuse, in the fuse box under the dash, the fuse isn't mark well, but says;

BACK

TURN

(4WD-AT)

if you have a gl-10 this fuse also controls power windows,

i had this same issue where my turn signals and my power windows stopped working (but my hazards still worked) and changing this fuse fixed all my issues

• 7 months later...

This seems to be the sad fact that you must replace that entire unit when the flasher fails. How come this little fact is not well known? Has anyone ever repaired one? Seems like it could only be dirty or corroded contacts. TD

When my Subaru "BumbleBeast" Flasher started to act... like Failing or Flashing speedy a couple of times prior to Fail or doing nothing, I Disassembled the Unit and Cleansed everything with an Electronics Cleaning Spray, then I Lubed with dielectric grease the moving parts and Voilá! ... It has been working good again, for two years now...

Kind Regards.

not often i see a bad flasher but every day a see a bad bulbs bad buld will make it flash fast or not at all check all four bulbs first confirm they are ok check that hazards work i think on those cars the 4 way and signals shared a flasher unit only the gl10 had a flasher biult into collum switch

• Like 1

I have no idea what you just said.   There is NOT one punctuation mark in your post.   Come on, people, use some...   ,,,,,!!!!!?????....(((( )))))

It is not that hard really fast got to go see spot run away from the booger man see what I mean girls

But it sounds like you found your hazard switch ?