Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Think I Found The Source To My Tranny Idiosyncrasy

When I first picked up my Loyale, going on a year ago, first was always hard to shift into. Gal I bought it off from said that it had always been that hard... didn't worry to much about it.

Lately, though, it's been getting harder and harder, until the engine (and presumably, the tranny) warmed up. I simply attributed it to the cold weather we've been having...

After I swapped out that halfshaft, I checked the fluids... noticed that the tranny fliud looked rather funky. Yellow, interspersed with dark yellow/brown, and tiny bubbles. Doesn't help that there was more fluid in the tranny than should have been, too.

I don't think tranny fluid is supposed to look like that. At least it ought to be homogenous.

I've heard about oil being able to leak into the tranny, and that's exactly what I imagine tranny fluid would look like if engine oil had been spilled into it. That's probably the rear main seal, right? The one that everybody suggests replacing when you do a clutch swap?

Within a month or two, I'll be swapping the driveline out of the '92 into a '90 chassis, most likely. If I change the tranny fluid, and be easy on her, will it last until I can do the swap? Or has the damage already been done... so I ought to start looking for a replacement tranny?

oil cannot pass between the engine and a manual trans...

maybe someone was putting motor oil in the trans? i know hondas and acuras use regular 30wieght motor oil in thier manual trans.. maybe someone thought soobs were the same..

at any rate when ya go doin the swap drain that puppy and put some good ole 80w90 in it..

the rear main seal just seals the crankcase from leaking onto the clutch..

:D

:eek:

Well... that makes me feel better, and worse, at the same time... somehow.

if the oil's inexpensive enough, I'll see about swapping it out now, and doing again when I do the swap. That way, if the oil change doesn't help at all, I can start to look out for a replacement.

Will a 5spd D/R replace that pushbutton without too much trouble? I know I'd end up replacing the center console, but I don't know any complications besides that...

cheap 80w90 will get you by, under $2 a quart at any parts store... its what i put in mine.. not had any probs..

not sure on teh 5sp d/r pretty sure its just cosmetically different as well as the shift linkage and shifters..

i'd also imagine there is a bit of rewirreing that needs done to get all teh lights on the dash to function right..

Stopped down at Advance while I was running an errand, and they've got 80w90... 5 gallons for $25, Coastal. Couldn't find it in quarts, though I'll find it.Wife will kill me if I bring home 5 gallons of oil, and store it in the apartment.How many quarts fill the tranny, anyhow?

If I went the d/r route, I'd just rob the shifter, linkage, and console right out of the donor car. Whether things will line up when I get it into the Loyale, I don't know, but there's got to be a way to make it fit. Same goes for the 4wd indicator on the dash... well, that's for the future, anyhow. I'm not offroading yet, so I don't need the d/r. The pushbutton's fine :)

5spd dual range will swap in the same, mount the same, existing driveshaft can be used.

just make sure your rear diff is 3.9, if not, het the diff with trans. make sure trans has shifter

your existing clutch and flywheel will work. all you need to swap out inside is the shifter cover plate

so, you need only: trans, diff(if yours is a 3.7) and the shifter plate