Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Honest Opinion-Datsun? VW? Soob?

Looking for a new car after my EA82T betrayed me...again. My first thought was to get an EJ22 legacy with as low miles as i can find. But a few situations have emerged locally.

First is an 82' Datsun King cab pickup with only 90k on it(!) asking 2800. My friend has one and it never had problem. 40mpg for a truck is pretty attractive...

Second is a 74' Datsun B210 for only 700 bucks. This could be risky, but parts are so cheap for this car (and there's less parts to break in general). It's currently used as a daily drive and will need a new/rebuilt carb soon. Odometer eads 92K but probably has more. This car is appealing 'cause it's classic and simple. I wouldn't mind it being a project i could always sell later.

Third (and probably most awesome) is an 82' VW rabbit that runs off veggie oil. It ahs a rebuilt engine and gets 40mpg (off veggie oil!). This is more expensive, asking 3K but damn it sounds nice!

I really only have experience with subarus and toyotas. I know Datsuns have quite a reputation, but can anyone give me an honest opinion? As for the VW, I know the engines are very similar to Soobies, so that's nice. I just don't know about their diesel engines.

Or, if anybody knows a good VW or datsun forum..let me know! I know this is kind of random, but I'd love to hear your opinions! Don't hold back, I'll probably end up getting a Soob anyway..

try tdiclub.com. really for later VW diesels but the old stuff has it's forums.

Generally an excellent board with a lot of activity.

Personally I'd never get a car that runs on waste Vegetable oil and such. You can read there some of the horror stories. That said - the older the better on the diesel conversion stuff. Easier tolerated, simpler engines.

Check the front strut towers on the VW for rust.

I had a 81 diesel pickup. Was pretty shot by the time I got it (rust). I'm 6'2" 235 lbs so I didn't use it for short errands - got tired of crawling in and out.

Good luck.

Personally I hate VW's. They are notorious for electrical issues on a lot of models and the Rabbits had some nasty transmission issues on some years. Plus I just despise anything that's transverse in general..... it's typical for VW's to "nickle and dime" you pretty hard.

The Datsun stuff is ok. Datsun and Subaru have some close ties back in those days. Use a lot of the same electrical parts, etc.

The most trouble-free thing you can get is going to be an EJ22 Legacy - simply because all that older stuff is going to be carbureted and anything that old with a carb is going to be more fussy than the first-gen EJ22 MPFI setup. They are so reliable that it's not uncommon to see then go 250k to 300k before anything in the FI system even needs attention. No carb can match them.

GD

Totally. My instinct says "NO!!" on the VW, I've never seen one that works right. The veggie oil thing sounds cool, but again, never seen one without constant problems. The little Datsun seems like a nice "for now" car that I could sell to some goober later on. Parts are cheap and what-not.

(And no worries GD, this is more of a temporary thing. Definitely still planning on investing in an EJ22 this fall! If I have a temporary car i'll be able to save up some more cash for something sweet:brow:)

And I guess in the long run I wouldn't mind having a crappy little Datsun to mess around with. It's turquiose for christ's sake!

Thanks guys!

i'd avoid the carbs but some folks don't mind them a bit.

VW's i'm in GD's camp and haven't ever seen a compelling functional reason to own one over other options, but i'm admittedly too functional with vehicles and maybe my friends limited experiences are anomaly's (high costs, failed trans). plenty of VW owners out there so they obviously have endearing qualities too.

being such old vehicles it's a tough call here but i'd get which ever one poses the least potential maintenance and issues. which ones appears in the best running condition, maintained, etc? i'd rather get something that's going to last me awhile than something i'll want to ditch soon. but i drive a lot of miles, if you don't then that might not matter.

Forming a new plan here. I really like working on cars, but my EA82T drove me nuts. I think I'll opt for a sweet legacy from GD with low miles to be my mainstay, and I might just get that Datsun B210 just for fun. Parts are cheap, and it's more simple to work on (especially on the electrical end). I kinda wouldn't mind having an old, hideous car to cruise around the neighborhood in! I'm thinking black skull and crossbones on the hood..