Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FINALLY!! found the one I've been looking for.

obk25xt

So, I sold my coupe the other day to a guy and made a small profit. Which is cool, he and I BOTH got a fair deal on the car and it should last him a long time of trouble free commuting.... Which is what he wanted....

Then, lastnight while surfin CL, I came across a couple of potential "flippers" to make a buck on.. Today I went to look at 1 of 'em and....... Was amazed.. It is the nicest looking, cleanest ea82 wagon I have personally ever seen... I'm sure there's nicer ones out there, but this things perfect... 140,000 on the clock and the engine was meticulously dissassembled to replace some oil seals. Labled and organized in boxes in the back of the car. Has a NEW copper/brass radiator. It also came with a NEW set of haakapalita studs mounted and balanced and NEW toyos mounted and balanced too. Apparently, the original owner was going to fix some oil leaks and give the car to his mom. Then he tore it down, and saw some cracks between the valves on both heads! He decided the car was a lost cause and sold it to another guy, who did not want to tackle the problem.:rolleyes: This 2nd (non-registered) owner has only had this car for about 10 days, and now its mine! Paid $500 for it all, which in my opinion is very fair.

Its a 1991 loyale wagon, 5mt, single range 4wd (I guess 1 owner?). Blue on blue, power everything, AC, basic car. WOW so clean though! My plans are to first, re-seal and put the engine back together with t-belts and such. And then start swappin stuff! I've been rathole-ing xt6 stuff for sometime now waiting to "stumble across this car" so the plans are first, rear control arms and f/r swaybars, followed by 5 lug swap and wrx split 5 spokes with bridgestones. I'll probably just drive it with the single range and ea82 untill i rathole a few more things but ultimately will do an ej/awd swap!

I'm really excited about this and hope it turns out to be my new daily rig. The outback has been sittin and I kinda like it that way.. It has like 50,000 miles and I still owe somethin like $24,000 on it.... Way to upside down in it, so I let it sit there..... And the lifted car is reliable and such, and it gets decent mileage with the ej22, but it's a toy! And not the most intelligent thing to run around town in.. So now, I'll have another one!

Edited by obk25xt

Pics or it didn't happen. :grin:

My commuter is a red 91 Loyale Wagon push-button 4wd. I bought it from my mechanic, who resealed the motor and installed a bunch of other new(er) parts (oil pump, water pump, plugs, wires, etc). Aside from being slower than cold honey, it's been a reliable and comfortable car. It needed a new radiator a few weeks ago due to a leak in the endtank, otherwise it's been bulletproof, regardless of what people say about the EA82. :-p

It was previously owned by an older woman, so it's in pretty good shape, considering its age. It could use a round of paintless dent removal and some ScratchX, but it cleans up nicely, and the interior is in great shape.

I know I know! PICS!!!! I took some today right after I washed it! :grin:

It is clean..... I will get them up here late this evening at the earliest. Try to get em up before tomorrow... Also, picked up a set of fel pro perma-torques, cam tower o-rings and intake manifold gaskets from the dealer, and f/r main seals, and cam seals, and valve cover seals! Already have this thing licensed and insured and the engine is still on my bench @ home :rolleyes:, too much confidence maybe?! Or is it experience that's just leading me to believe I'll have this thing on the road in the next day or so...... You decide! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so it's been a week or so now and I have a few updates. Got er' all assembled and it runs perfect. Also added a cherry bomb mufler and a cone air filter. As far as upgrades go I'm now sportin XT6 front sway bar, and rear 4-lug disc brakes (I can't justify swapping to 5-lug yet with all the 13" tires I have!? Just doesnt seem cost efficient). Also installed some coilover sleeves I scored from pick&pull awhile back, threw them at the front and rear! :headbang: Lowered it down some, but not alot, now this thing handles better than any old soob I have ever had. Also painted the wheels black. Hopefully soon to be added is XT6 rear sway bar.....

Check it out, some pics for y'all!! :slobber::clap::burnout:

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

• 1 month later...

Couple more updates. Installed some tunes! JVC head unit and MB Quart door speakers. They are 6.5" components up front (crossovers mounted in door pockets), and 6.5" 2-ways in the back doors. Sounds good! Also picked up some "upgrades" from the local pick&pull, deluxe armrest/doorpulls. Modified FWD 5mt console to fit the pushbutton shifter setup. Not necessary by any means, but I think it looks better, which is the important part! :-)

Before.....

IMG_1685.jpg

After.....

IMG_1687.jpg

Before.....

IMG_1686.jpg

After.....

IMG_1688.jpg

Another good upgrade... it helps hold the drivers carpet up too... a dead pedal / footrest. Just pull one from a GL

10-4, I saw one while I was there, and was wondering if it would hold the carpet up. I would have snagged one too but the last 2-3 times Ive gone in there were just to kill some time and all I brought in was the flat/phillips screwdriver that comes in the factory tool kit! Maybe I'll get one this afternoon.

Edited by obk25xt

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up to the top, I realize I've been bringing it back periodically just to "show off" boring minor cosmetic improvements. Rest assured there is more in the works! My goal is to have an ultimate loyale at some point. :cool:

Up to date my parts pile includes:

Complete 5 lug swap (ready to go, just waiting for "the right time")

XT6 F/R swaybars (front is installed, rear is waiting on me to install the new bearings in the proper control arms)

XT6 5MT crossmember

WRX (bugeye I think?) front struts/springs

WRX split 5 spokes & 205-55-16 (to big maybe?) potenzas with 80% tread

3.90 VLSD from a 92? legacy turbo sedan

And, a complete, running and driving 1991 legacy wagon 5mt with 180,000

on the clock! (for the awd, wiring, & engine or heads/intake)

The only thing I lack so far is a 2.5 shortblock. I'm sure when the time comes I will get one at a price I can afford.

Oh, and I want some delta's also!

I don't normally like to get into the "I'm gonna's," but I am pretty excited about finding this car and building it into a car I've been building in my head for a couple of years now. My parts collection has been growing for much longer than the car has been in my possession. Any thoughts, feedback, or words of motivation are encouraged!

Anyhow, back to the "boring minor cosmetic stuff."

New (to me) painted amber corner marker lights!

Courtesy of Simple Monkey, Thanks again!

Spencer

IMG_1774.jpg[/img]

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

My gf is not so hot on the amber, I'm on the fence, I like em' cause they're different. Lemme know what you think.

Edited by obk25xt

• 1 month later...