Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost power, clicking then banging noise from engine

99 Forester 243,000 miles. Was driving on Interstate got a click noise from engine compartment and car lost power. Downshifted to 4 gear (manual transmission) then back to 5 gear and all was OK. About 10 minutes later consistent clicking noise from engine and car lost power. Didn’t stall, but more gas didn’t give more power and car was gradually going slower. Managed to get to exit ramp. When I came to complete stop engine oil light came on. Shut off engine, checked oil, and it was at proper fill. Tried to start it but would not start. Had it towed. Now when I start car it makes a banging noise from engine compartment.

Is this engine toast?

I had a friend with a 99 forester he bought it with the engine knocking. I don't recall if it was down on power, I do remember it idled perfectly though. So we removed the timing covers and found the tensioner had broke and it was bouncing around and of course there was no tension on the belt. He drove the car for a week like this! Replaced the idler or tensioner and it was all fine!

Might want to look into checking out the timing belt.

Can you describe this "banging" sound a littler better? Or better yet, make a video and post it?

Engine related noise should become slower when put into gear because engine speed would go down. Unless this is a part related to transfering power from the engine to the transmission and s under more stress under load. A cracked flex plate can make a heck of a racket, but it won't cause any driveability issues unless it completely beaks, at which point it leaves you stranded.

But you have a manual transmission, so no flexplate. Could be a clutch related issue I suppose, but that still doesn't explain the temporary loss of power before it gave up completely.

I think you have a Rod knocking Ive seen it in Foresters a lot.

I was just going to comment on this issue:

Foresters are blowing there 2.5 sohc engines waaaaaay more than OB/Imprezas and Legacys

I have only seen Foresters with blown engines.

Input?

I don't have the means to take video of the problem. But I googled rod knock and found this on youtube. It sounds just like mine, but mine sounds louder to me. More like hammering than knocking.

"When I came to complete stop engine oil light came on," and now you are hearing banging noise. I suspect a broken connecting rod, because the oil light came on.

Yea, check for a bad tension-er, but I still suspect a bad rod, particularly if the engine is running rough at an idle, like firing on three cylinders.