Ultimate Subaru Message Board
heep70

Dash warning lights????

All my dash warning lights are lighting up all at the same time (Not real brite). Even the unlock, defrost and bright light indactors are on. I also noticed my volt gauge starting to climb. :eek:

What all does this mean?

I am guessing the regulator in the alt is shorting out.

Was wondering if anyone else has ever experinced this?

That is often indicative of the alternator voltage regulator going out.... high voltage can cause the dash lights to come on like that. I would have at it with a meter and check out you voltages.

GD

When I got home I put my meter on it and it was reading 12.5 volts. When I gased it, it didn't move much. I figured it was the regulator just couldn't understand why all the warning lights came on. Thanks for replying.

I thought the same thing, so I checked all the wires off the engine to where ever. They all looked good. I am going to recheck in the morning again. I might even run a new ground from the alt bracket to the body.

Glad you got it fixed.

The warning lights are in series with the alternators' field circuit and that is why you see this kind of thing happen. If some of the diodes go out that will cause this kind of thing to happen. Since your voltage was a little low I would guess that is what your problem was in the alternator.