Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on 1996 Jeep Cherokee???

Hey everyone, quick questions to the Jeepers here. My sister is looking at a 1996 Jeep Cherokee to buy. Its the regular Cherokee, not the grand. Specs are: 4.0L High Output I-6, Automatic, 2WD, 125,000 miles, runs and drives very good, everything seems tight.

Any issues with reliability on these? Any known quirks they have to watch for? Safe?

I told her I would ask on here to see if its a good buy or something to stay away from. I have no experience in them. Thanks in advance!

Edited by SubieDaddy80

Yeah - Chrysler hasn't made a good automatic in decades.

Purchasing a 14 y/o Chrysler product is a mistake no matter how you look at it. Might as well just open the wallet and empty the contents into the toilet. :rolleyes:

You can lead a horse to water...... tell her that you don't endorse that choice of autmobile and that if she buys it you will not be there when it breaks. That's how I treat family that disregards my warnings about vehicle choices..... except my Mom - she gets a pass cause of that whole baby carring for 9 months and raising me for 18 years bit :rolleyes:.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I would tend to disagree with you only if you can find a standard transmission. We know the 3.0 chrysler engine was garbage ok. The 3.8s have also had HG problems as well. But i know the inline 6 4.0 and the 3.3 like in my van are very good engines with a long history of reliability. Is it a chevy 350, no but you get my point. When i bought my 05 caravan i was like why am i buying this thing. I know the transmission is garbage. But at that point my wife wanted that one and she wouldnt drive a astro van. Ill pay for it eventually but i guess if your going chrysler stick with a standard transmission.

Well - I stay WAY clear of any Chrysler product unless it's old-school mopar stuff. Chrysler gets a free pass on the garbage they made prior to the early 70's since they just look so damn good and can be fast as hell - I dig the old school Mopar's and if I had the coin I would drop it on the new Challenger. And I would bend over and take it in the pooper every time it broke because that sexy car gives me wood. :grin:

But there's nothing sexy about a Jeep. That's just a wallet humper.

Anything Chrysler builds is automatically suspect simply because of their relationship with Mitsubishi - which actually IS the automotive anti-christ. They made a deal with the evil one and a little more of that evil creeps into their products every year. :lol:

They actually made manual transmission Cherokee's? I figured them for pure soccer mom pavement pounders. Though sadly I see more and more of them lifted since they are so cheap. I can't imagine that's a good idea in the long run. Too many electrical "options" to cause issues when wet :rolleyes:

GD

Jeep = Cheap Junk

The 4.0 HO I6 is a good engine, but the rest of the car is just about ready to

die after 100k.

And I'm sorry, but why would your sister want a nose heavy RWD vehicle

that is easily rolled, esp in Washington?

Is it just me or is that Heep screaming "I WANNA GET STUCK!"?

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
Wrong state, Sorry SD80 :P

SUCCESS!! The thread worked! :banana: She has agreed to go and look at a few Forresters tommorow with me! Who knows, we may have another new USMB member soon! Woo Hoo!

YAY!!!

Good for her, I'm glad she finally saw the light ;):lol:

Hope to see her around the board :)

Oh oh oh, if she's on a budget you should get her into and EA81 wagon :banana:

Twitch