Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more work on my tow rig...

OK. a bit more done.... along with trimming the hedges and other yard work :)

replace the rocker and got the new hinges installed, then the solid replacement door...

rs_door.jpg

rs_door2.jpg

rs_rocker.jpg

after I got the door hung and lined up, then I moved on to a new window regulator. Now that job was a PITA. I tried following the instructions in the FAQ. not sure if it's because it's a 72 with the screw/brace under the vent window or what, but it sucked...

cleaned up a set of door panels I got from DieselWrencher (thanks!) They had a woodgrain panel so the scrollwork was still perfect, and not faded/discolored.

rs_brown-panel.jpg

Then I used some Krylon Fusion pain for plastic....

rs_black-panel.jpg

I also have new black armrest/handles to install...

nah... the topper is going back on for Castana, and eventually I'm gonna get a slide-in camper for it... :banana:

I would only classify some of what I'm doing as restoration work. Mostly, it'sjust cobbling together stuf so it looks and functions better than it did...

my rocker replacement is definitely NOT restoration quality :lol:

I'll have to take some pics of my '69. Being an original OR truck it's got no rocker rot! :eek:

I am definitely a fan of the 67 to 72 body though. Without question it's the best looking of the older GM's and at least with mine it's right in that sweet spot where they got the 350 SB and no emissions equipment.

GD

As far as i know they didnt start putting emission stuff on until 74. I know this because i had a 73 monte once and it had no smog equipment.

well, in 1972 the 1/2T had a charcoal canister set-up. the 3/4T like mine didn't have anything...

new trans pan seal and fluid....

new door works great. dsh lights work great... fuel guage still no worky....

it's got a new sender unit, and new wire to the fuse box...

but at least it shuts off now, when I tell it to :lol:

Theres alittle mud on mt grizzley. You might want to wash it up.:grin:

yeah, it's still there... I did put in a new acc pump diaphram on GRizz today, so now I don't have to worry about fuel leaking onto the engine :)

the GT seats are still in the back.... maybe this week....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Was that rear slider hard to install? Where did you get it? My '69 could use one of those....

GD

well, I had the rope and everything, but getting the SS trim into the gasket was a royal pain in the 4$s. and getting the gasket onto the window was a bit of a challenge too... because it kept popping off...

by the time I had it ready to install, the skeeters were everywhere outside, and I missed the window of opportunity for my helper (wife)... so I took it to a glass shop the next morning, and was glad I did. they had trouble with one corner being pretty tight, and I'm sure if it had been a "home install" that it would have been bad.... so it was worth it....

the slider I picked up at a junkyard out of a '70 or '71 for $25. It had purple tint on it then... it took me a bit to get it cleaned up, but it cleaned up great. I believe it to be a factory slider too.

the vinyl was a gift my wife had gotten for me... it's the kind with the holes in it, so you can see out... it attaches to the outside of the glass. the picture was actually quite a bit bigger...

http://www.clearvuegraphics.com/

Good day today. got my Brake Controller installed, and got the 7-pin RV socket installed.

while I was at it, I ran power back to the rear of the truck for a 12V socket, and the topper dome light. replaced some wiring for the backup lights, but they still don't work...

found out I have been running without tail lights/brake lights for a bit, and resolved that issue...

all trailer lights work properly, so my RV socket install is good...

started the sleeping platform build (quick and dirty version) since I need it for next weekend...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, the truck towed the trailer fine... with 4.10 gears, I thought it'd be better on the hills, but it still did okay.

6 mpg baby!

additional note... when I got back from trip, the truck was missing badly... braking kinda sucked (low vacuum) seems that when the warranty engine was put in, they routed the plug wires right on the exhaust manifold, so I had been slowly losing power as the wires burned through... since it was slow, I didn't notice, and thought it was just the pulling of the trailer.... some new Taylor 8mm high temp wires, and proper stand-offs to keep the wires away from the heat, an oil/filter change and it's a comletely new beast now... :)

Yeah - I fought with plug wires on mine as well - since I have an HEI distributor you actually can't buy plug wires that fit the distributor and work with the rams-horn exhaust manifolds. I had to get the MSD wire kit that you cut to fit and use the boots of your choice on the distributor end ($80 - ouch!). With some stand-offs on the valve covers they work no problem.... I still think the rams-horn manifolds are silly things the way they cover the plug holes but what do I know? :confused:

GD

additional note... when I got back from trip, the truck was missing badly... braking kinda sucked (low vacuum) seems that when the warranty engine was put in, they routed the plug wires right on the exhaust manifold, so I had been slowly losing power as the wires burned through... since it was slow, I didn't notice, and thought it was just the pulling of the trailer.... some new Taylor 8mm high temp wires, and proper stand-offs to keep the wires away from the heat, an oil/filter change and it's a comletely new beast now... :)

engine electrical fires bad. glad you got to it before that happened.

do you carry fire exteng?

better give it a twice over see wut else they messd up.

it really is hard to find a reliable shop around here that works on subarus correclty, never put the domestic abilities away either.

Yeah - I fought with plug wires on mine as well - since I have an HEI distributor you actually can't buy plug wires that fit the distributor and work with the rams-horn exhaust manifolds. I had to get the MSD wire kit that you cut to fit and use the boots of your choice on the distributor end ($80 - ouch!). With some stand-offs on the valve covers they work no problem.... I still think the rams-horn manifolds are silly things the way they cover the plug holes but what do I know? :confused:

GD

yeah, I'm rnning HEI too. the atoparts store I found the Taylor wires at, was clearing out all the "old" stuff. Carquest bought a local chain, so I got 'em really cheap... and I've got the sta ndoffs off the vawlve covers... the wires are the kind you cut and boot at the disty end too.

I'll have to get a pic...