Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a bolt from the cover over the P.S. belt somehow fell behind the P.S. pump's pulley causing all sorts of havoc. the upshot (aside from a new belt) is that the pulley is a bit wonky. Threatened (by 2 mechanics) that not only would this cause me to throw belts but would wear out the bearing (in the P.S. pump) as well.

the "stealership" wanted $110 for the pulley & nut & $70 to install... a trip to the wrecking yard yielded a flat pulley.

Now... is it as simple a blocking the pulley & undoing this one acorn nut??

Any other suprises I should be expecting?

grease the splines in the shaft?

toque specs on this?

hep. need a little hep here.

thanks,

Peter

'99 OBW

Edited by later, Peter

According to Hayne's (at least for a 98-02 forester) it is not pressed on. take off the nut by using a pin spanner wrench to hold pump still and then remove nut. I'm sure you can find another way to hold pump from turning. The pulley is splined and will just pull off. No puller is needed. Torque spec is 58 foot lbs. No mention of grease on shaft either, but I would use just a little anti-seize if it seems hard to get off. If you want to make a spanner wrench, see one here:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/diy-crank-pulley-wrench-75029/

I doubt the pins will be in the same place, but you get the idea.

seems simple enough... I know I'll leave something out or won't realize something I should have done prior to not doing it.

It looks like tomorrow (in the of the morning).

Decided to do it this evening:

Crap! that was too easy. ALMOST forgot to retighten the Alternator but other than that... pretty easy & quick.

$25 & 25 minutes.

too cool for school

Edited by later, Peter