Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought my first Subaru--2000 Outback. Did a bit of research before buying and liked what I saw and I'm loving lovin this car so far. Will drive from LA area to Portland next week, I'm thinking it's going to be a comfortable ride.

I just moved from Malaysia were my family and I have lived off and on for 25 years. Had a Volvo 240 and there was a Volvo owners club with a forum similar to this. Lots of great advice and help. Hoping to get the hang of this site for the same kind of help.

For example there was a thread just for 200 series Volvo where I quickly learned all the quirks of those particular models and tips what to do about them. Would love to find something like that on here.

Anyway, glad to see a site like this.

Welcome to the board :) ( I feel cool being the first to welcome you)

You will find amazing people here. Super friendly, help you with anything you need and of course finding just about any part you will ever need

Check the New Gen Section of the Forums for your Outback.

Ive loved Outbacks but prefer to stick with the older gens. :slobber:

Would love to see a post in the New Gen section about your Outback, color, miles, pictures, ideas for modifications, etc! :grin:

Again Welcome!:banana:

Hello and :welcome:

And welcome to the 2000 Outback owner's club. I too have a 2000 Outback.

If you want a couple tips for it, the first would be (if it's an automatic trans) make sure to keep the ATF clean and fresh with a top quality ATF. These trans's can develop a slow to engage into drive issue due to a ring on one of the drums.

The second would be to keep the coolant changed every year and use the Subaru coolant conditioner each time. And don't use a dexcool type coolant. The engine can get the external head gasket peeping leak. (It's possible the head gaskets were replaced already).

Thanks 92_rugby_subie and porcupine73 you've already addressed a concern--the auto tranny does have a very slight delay sometimes going from reverse to drive. Seems to do it first time in the day when backing out of the driveway. I will pay particular attention to that.

And since I bought it from a broker (not private party) I have no clue on the history of things like if the head gaskets have been replace. It has 92K on the odometer (verified by Carfax).

Oh and I forgot to mention, you can register free at my.subaru.com and it will show you all service history they know about (anything done at Subaru dealers who aren't still in the stone age anyway). If you just bought the car, you might have to fax them your registration or other proof of ownership.

Hello,as someone else new to Subaru can I assume these tranny tips are useful to me as well? Or irrelevant? I have a 01 Outback H6 Automatic. I hear/feel slight vibration/rumble before shifting.

Hello. The tranny tips are relevant in that all automatic transmissions require the proper, fresh, quality, clean fluid for long term operation. If yours has never been changed that would be a good place to start. Some '01s did get the slow to engage into drive issue as well.

The timing belt notes don't apply to yours as you have a timing chain.