Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is no way in hell I can do this myself due to physical limitations, unless i double up on the xanex and vicodin. Then again i could never get out from under the car....

What kind of cost am i looking at for this?

Get a good hub from the yard and then get someone to put it on for you.

PB Blaster for a few weeks before so they can get the bolts out. The long one on the bottom can be tough.

Drive to CO Springs and buy me a beer and I'll do it :>)

After doing a wheelbearing in my first legacy i've never done one again. Get a used one with the trailing arms and dont mess with the long bolt. The bolt towards the rear of the car is the camber adjustment so be sure to mark it.

After doing a wheelbearing in my first legacy i've never done one again. Get a used one with the trailing arms and dont mess with the long bolt.
+1. that long bolt is a beast and yours aint coming out, or just let a shop install the used hub. one could say "used bearings can fail", well so can new bearings. i'm content to keep swapping hubs until subaru can regain the wheel bearing reliability of older gen soobs.

For my 95 Legacy, I pulled the front hubs and had a local mechanic press in the new hubs. Think I paid $60 for the labor. Wasn't a huge deal, but not a cake walk either, as I was learning as I went. When the rear bearing in my 99 OBS went kaput, I thought I would do the same. I'd sooner french kiss a rabid polar bear that just vomited baby seal bits than to fool with that again. That job is now on my "Better off paying someone else" list, even though I hate to. I think at the dealer that's a $250 job.

For my 95 Legacy, I pulled the front hubs and had a local mechanic press in the new hubs. Think I paid $60 for the labor. Wasn't a huge deal, but not a cake walk either, as I was learning as I went. When the rear bearing in my 99 OBS went kaput, I thought I would do the same. I'd sooner french kiss a rabid polar bear that just vomited baby seal bits than to fool with that again. That job is now on my "Better off paying someone else" list, even though I hate to. I think at the dealer that's a $250 job.

250 is not bad at all. I was picturing 350-400.

If you can pay a friend $100 to remove and install the hub, then you can have the bearing pressed in/out for just a bit more. Probably save $100 or so. But I could understand if you didn't want to deal with that lower bolt being on the rust coast. Here they aren't an issue but even I looked at that thing and shuddered from the thoughts of what road salt would do to it. It's very exposed down there.

GD

We do not have scrap yards anymore.
who goes to them anymore :lol: ? my time is too valuable to wait in line and they go pull the part, etc. i order them from down south or out west and get a hub for $25 with no rust. i source the low end of the cost scale, call while i'm driving to work, and it shows up on my doorstep.

who goes to them anymore :lol: ? my time is too valuable to wait in line and they go pull the part, etc. i order them from down south or out west and get a hub for $25 with no rust. i source the low end of the cost scale, call while i'm driving to work, and it shows up on my doorstep.

But you ARE down south :)

There is no way in hell I can do this myself due to physical limitations, unless i double up on the xanex and vicodin. Then again i could never get out from under the car....

What kind of cost am i looking at for this?

I had a left rear bearing installed for $280 on my '96 Outback at an independent Subaru garage.

Remember, He is in New York and it is liable to be a bit more expensive. I can call my sister and find out the name of her mechanic. He is very reasonable and very trustworthy. He works on the subs I built for her and my nephew and he likes them although I didn't leave him much to work on.

If you want to take a weekend trip, I can do the job for you, but then you will have the expense of gas and tolls.

Down here it is about 200 per side plus parts, so not a real bad job, but not cheap either. If I had a set of hubs I would get them for you and ship them up, but I just got rid of the last set I had. I can look at the local JY if you want.

i recall other folks posting prices paid for these jobs and $250-$300 and $500 for the pair come to mind. did you get any quotes yet?

But you ARE down south :)
our rust issues are bad so i order stuff from "the real south" (georgia, etc) and out west. i suppose this region is south of you but MD/WV is not typically considered part of the "south", depending on political/cultural/context of discussion - but for rust we definitely have no share in their no-rust zone.

even if you don't do it here, i recommend it for any parts you might need in the future. order from like Georgia or out West where there's more Subaru's.

Edited by grossgary

our rust issues are bad so i order stuff from "the real south" (georgia, etc) and out west. i suppose this region is south of you but MD/WV is not typically considered part of the "south", depending on political/cultural/context of discussion - but for rust we definitely have no share in their no-rust zone.

even if you don't do it here, i recommend it for any parts you might need in the future. order from like Georgia or out West where there's more Subaru's.

You are below the Mason/Dixon line, ou are south :P

just had one replaced on my car - rural Wisconsin - was just under $300 including a premium bearing w/3 yr warranty ($94 just for that), all seals and labor, and she did put up a fight due to rust...

Technically I can do the job, it is the fights with rust I can not do anymore.

Blu has surgery on the 17th.

Technically I can do the job, it is the fights with rust I can not do anymore.

Blu has surgery on the 17th.

exactly the reason I took Cherry in...I can do it, but didnt feel up to the fight, the skinned knuckles, the furstration/aggrivation, etc. Not to mention the shop has all the correct needed tools - I would have had to either buy or rent more tools...added cost...

did you get a quote on cost yet? just curious about the cost difference between east coast & midwest...

exactly the reason I took Cherry in...I can do it, but didnt feel up to the fight, the skinned knuckles, the furstration/aggrivation, etc. Not to mention the shop has all the correct needed tools - I would have had to either buy or rent more tools...added cost...

did you get a quote on cost yet? just curious about the cost difference between east coast & midwest...

Not yet, as it is something that needs to be done so I just close my eyes and sign the credit card.

I need one more day out of blu but I think he may come undrivable shortly. Thats what AAA is for.

I dunno - mine made noise for over 2 years - basically from the time i got the car - it was just recently that it started getting bad enough that i was getting a little worried about it - more grinding noise going around corners than it used to. (have put about 46,000 miles on her in that time)

will keep my fingers crossd for you that Blu makes it to surgery day

Yup mine grinds on corners, and what is more bothersome is that Blu is wandering on the road more and has a high speed shimmy sometimes. After this last 40 mile trip today i am putting him on bed rest till surgery.

After 5 years it is time to come out.