Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1600 ea 81

Our Hatch that we got last winter has me curious It is the weakest ea 81 I have owned or drove ever So, I just did a compression test thinking that the original owners may have not take care of it and its overly worn for the mileage that being 140k which Isn't much being a subaru as you all know but it came out great at 185,179,167,170 in that order which leads me to be leave this could be one of the 1.6 ea 81s or as you would say a destoked ea81 but it being an 1987 GL 4wd hatch I don't know the sticker that should be under the hood are gone And I ma running the weber I had on my brat before I Fuel injected in and it jetted the same as it was then and it ran great on my brat with the built motor I just can't find any other reason its so weak with good or great compression its in time has on cats too be stopped up a free flowing muffler it just bogs down on hills and has no top end that being said its a pain too drive at highway speeds around here and has to be floored up hills that my other stock ea81s don't lose any speed on and they have more miles and much less compression and are wagons which are heavier I just can't find any other explanation for it

I know they made an ea81 that was a 1.6 from 85-89 but I though just the 2wd would have got it

And this is the original engine and I am petty sure of that fact because this car had set on the back of an impound lot since 1992 (when the tags had went out and impound lot records) In Gray TN that my cousin bought out for the junk cars ( He runs/owns a junkyard) Of which I bought the 4 Subarus that were on the lot for part and deiced the hatch was worth getting a title for due to the low mileage

EA81 is the engine designation for the 109ci (1.8) liter ohv engine. What you are referring to is the EA71 (1.6 liter) motor. Does your motor say EA71 next to the distributor or EA81. There is no such thing as a 1.6 liter EA81.

No its a ea 81 stamped on the block beside the distributor and there was a 97ci ea 81 when I worked at the dealership in the parts dept we had a listing for one but if I remember they were only offered for the 2wd hatch from 85-89 in STD and DL trim I just want to know if there is there anyway to tell the differences in there without tearing thing thing down

Oh heres link to the engine page as you see from 85-89 subaru made a 1.6 ea81

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/specs/mechanical/engine-specs.html

No its a ea 81 stamped on the block beside the distributor and there was a 97ci ea 81 when I worked at the dealership in the parts dept we had a listing for one but if I remember they were only offered for the 2wd hatch from 85-89 in STD and DL trim I just want to know if there is there anyway to tell the differences in there without tearing thing thing down

Oh heres link to the engine page as you see from 85-89 subaru made a 1.6 ea81

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/specs/mechanical/engine-specs.html

that page is wrong... I should take it down....

the 85-89 1.6 was in fact a ea71, but it had the fat case, and a different bell housing on it for the side mount starter....

Well then why does the oem parts catalog list two different cranes and displacements for the ea 81? which started in 85 and ended in 89 It could have not been imported but its listed none the less

anyway this does not ex plane the lack of power with this motor I just can't figure out why this thing is so weak Its not that it has no bottom end Which it has its just that it has no top end hitting a slightly steep hill it loses speed From 70 down to around 45-50 its just like I said weak and I am trying to find some reason why because I can't find any thing wrong with it timing compression carb being out of tune cats stopped up nothing

Well then why does the oem parts catalog list two different cranes and displacements for the ea 81? which started in 85 and ended in 89 It could have not been imported but its listed none the less

anyway this does not ex plane the lack of power with this motor I just can't figure out why this thing is so weak Its not that it has no bottom end Which it has its just that it has no top end hitting a slightly steep hill it loses speed From 70 down to around 45-50 its just like I said weak and I am trying to find some reason why because I can't find any thing wrong with it timing compression carb being out of tune cats stopped up nothing

Its a 1.6 liter engine trying to push you up a hill.

It has less than 70 hp, and most of that is around the 4500 rpm mark.

I'm sure its just the power to weight ratio, as well as some gunk getting

cleaned out of the system.

Maybe try some different gas or try wrapping it out to 5 or 6k while driving,

just to break up any junk that's crusted up inside.

Twitch

You have an EA81. It is not 1.6L. It is a 1.8. I guarantee it. :)

Look at your intake and exhaust if the compression is good as you indicate. You must have a restriction somewhere. The stock carbs are junk - perhaps the secondary isn't opening?

Restricted exhaust (blown up cat, etc) is not uncommon. I've had to gut several cats that were broken up inside.

Your engine is 74 HP. Unleash the power by getting as much fuel and air into it as possible and getting the exhaust out. You have to wind them up too. My '83 Hatch get's after it pretty good on a tired, old engine. I have a Weber and cat-free exhaust. And I get over 30 MPG freeway :)

GD

You have an EA81. It is not 1.6L. It is a 1.8. I guarantee it. :)

GD

I have to ask... how can you guarentee this? ;)

If it is stamped EA81 it is a 1800cc engine. They never made a 1600cc EA81. Just didn't happen. (On any continent).

Like was said tune it. Verify there are no restrictions and that the distributor is operating properly.

Thank everybody and its an ea81 with a weber on a ea82 intake and the cats are gone already it has a known good disty and runs great at low rpms it just has on top end way weaker than any ea81 I have ever owned thats what got me thinking it could be a 1.6 or something

Oh when I got this car it was bone stock and had ever thing gummed up fuel lines pump carb all and I replaced them all and took off and cleaned the gas tank out this thing had set since 1992. So like I said earlier the carb,disty,fuel pump all were on my brat 3 years ago and run great then til I pulled them for a FI conversion and from then til they were put on the hatch this winter they were box up in a closet

I double checked the timing and advance earlier today it was 7 btc and the advance is working fine still the carb checked out to secondary worked to like it should the only thing I can think of now is the cam could be going flat or something

I trying to get this car fixed for my wife to use as a work car because our Baja keeps getting hit with buggy's at her work

Edited by 84gl

Thank everybody and its an ea81 with a weber on a ea82 intake and the cats are gone already it has a known good disty and runs great at low rpms it just has on top end way weaker than any ea81 I have ever owned thats what got me thinking it could be a 1.6 or something

Oh when I got this car it was bone stock and had ever thing gummed up fuel lines pump carb all and I replaced them all and took off and cleaned the gas tank out this thing had set since 1992. So like I said earlier the carb,disty,fuel pump all were on my brat 3 years ago and run great then til I pulled them for a FI conversion and from then til they were put on the hatch this winter they were box up in a closet

I double checked the timing and advance earlier today it was 7 btc and the advance is working fine still the carb checked out to secondary worked to like it should the only thing I can think of now is the cam could be going flat or something

I trying to get this car fixed for my wife to use as a work car because our Baja keeps getting hit with buggy's at her work

The cam is not flat. Or it would not run "good" at low rpm's. Something else is wrong. Either fuel delivery, not enough pressure not big enough jets in the secondaries or too big for that matter.

thats where it runs the best back it off and it stubbles gets worse gas mileage and has less top end power there is just something wrong with this motor if I can't figure it out I am going to pull it and put anther one in and i don't want to do that being this is the lowest mileage N/A ea81 I've got (not counting the one in my brat) all the other stock ea81s I have are in the 250-400k range thats the whole reason I got the title for this hatch It wasn't that it was rust free or anything its that it was a lower mileage car with good seats dash etc. it has rust issues there are better ones even around here

And we have already put 10k on it pretty much like it is now but I will be leaving to work on the road again soon (Millwright) And I don't want It to give her any trouble while I'm gone to Mexico for the next three months

The cam is not flat. Or it would not run "good" at low rpm's. Something else is wrong. Either fuel delivery, not enough pressure not big enough jets in the secondaries or too big for that matter.

The fuel pressure is 4psi The carb is jetted at 140/140 mains, 60/55 idle, 165/160 air jets I just can figure this thing out no matter how rich or lean I run it still know top end or gas mileage I never had any trouble out of the carb on my brat like I said not even tuning it

The fuel pressure is 4psi The carb is jetted at 140/140 mains, 60/55 idle, 165/160 air jets I just can figure this thing out no matter how rich or lean I run it still know top end or gas mileage I never had any trouble out of the carb on my brat like I said not even tuning it

Air correctors are off. Primary should be 170, secondary should be 160. Fuel pressure is too high for a Weber. It should be about 2.5-3. Are you running a return line off the weber? Many on this board take the fitting from the hitachi and fit it to the weber. Everything else is right for a semi-stock EA81.

Edited by hatchsub

change the jets out and adjusted the fuel pressure and now its finally fix its running great I was even able to reset the timing to 11 btc

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

I would of never thought it was the carb being jetted wrong it runs at top end like it should now I am just not carb type of guy I like FI set it and forget it

So when I get back In a few months I will SPFI this thing

Well carb is pretty much tune and run it too..its just with a screwdriver instead of a computer :lol:. Glad you got it all sorted out. Its amazing what a few little changes to a carb will do. You probably got a big jump in power now that you got that sorted out and the timing where it wants to be.

I got small jump In power but its still not as strong as my wagon which just a stock ea81 with spfi And nowhere near as strong as the brats built ea81 with spfi and megasquirt but it still runs alot better

I got small jump In power but its still not as strong as my wagon which just a stock ea81 with spfi And nowhere near as strong as the brats built ea81 with spfi and megasquirt but it still runs alot better

Another thing i just thought of that you may want to look into is setting the floats in the carb. Mine was supposed to be correct but was way off right out of the box. There is a explanation of how to do it somewhere on this board or no the net. Im too tired now to hunt and am heading to bed in a few but if you dont find it ill look around a bit more tomorrow and post up.