Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Distributor o-ring

Wow. Is there a good aftermarket source for the distributor o-ring for EA82?

The std assortments have one the right diameter, but the cross-section of the Subaru part is pretty slim, and if I used one from an assortment, they're all too fat.

I ended up ordering one from the dealer: 491762001, but it lists for $6.31 . Wow.

I've got mine, but was wondering where you got yours, if not at the dealer.

Place in Tukwila, WA called Erik's O-rings. You need to get the metric size. $25 minimum order but that'll get you about 30 of the the little buggers. I'm sure there'd be some on the Board looking for a decent price on these. I'll try to get more info on Erik's.

I'm sure Erik's can get you Viton or Buna. Anyone out there have an original and can accurately measure ID, OD, and cross-section?

I'm typing from work today so here's the scoop on Erik's:

ERIKS West, Inc.

Seattle, WA 206-243-9660

Anaheim, CA 714-826-2000

If anyone has the dimensions (or better yet an OEM--new--oring that I can use as a sample) I can get down there and see what they will cost as a group buy.

Originally posted by edrach

Anyone out there have an original and can accurately measure ID, OD, and cross-section?

If anyone has the dimensions (or better yet an OEM--new--oring that I can use as a sample) I can get down there and see what they will cost as a group buy.

You ever try measuring an o-ring's diameters? I'd need something like a ring sizer to do it (cone-shaped rod). I tried freehand, but it's very difficult. I could have measured the OD & ID non-contact and averaged it (x+y)/2 but it would have been pretty inaccurate that way. So I measured the cross-section and the groove it goes in, then went ahead and installed my distributor so I could make smoke before the night was through.

O-ring cross-section is .090" +- .002" (using dial calipers and a light touch).

Other dims shown below are +.002" -.001"

d_oring.png

Originally posted by Skip

Gad ZoiX, for over 6 GWs I sure hope it's a Viton, not simple buna.

What do you figure the mark up is on that puppy?

Oh, I got my 20% off, so I only paid $5 ;)! But for that price, they drove it 100 miles, so that's not so bad :-p

Heck, our margin on parts we sell that cost us <$25 is double. All you have to do is make a part change hands four or five times and it begins to add up, with markups like that.

Seeing as I only had to buy one, I don't gripe much, but multiply this across a whole lot of parts and it gets kind of expensive. The dealer can't pay somebody to stand at the counter and ring up a sale for their cut of $6, so they're selling the o-ring at a loss, I figure.

Another example is the gasket between the air filter housing's top half and the MAF, it costs me about $22. That's about $0.35 of paper, but the die to cut it and the guys all down the chain that have to label it, print a package for it, invoice it, take an order for it, dust it when it's on the shelf -- well, the overhead can kill you on these little parts.

You can see why dealer hate to stock small parts.