Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  

a few months ago our 2002 OBW H6 ran out of gas about 5 minutes or less after the low fuel light came on. filled it up and it took a bit over 14 gallons (what it normally takes when the fuel light comes on). but it's a 16.9 gallon tank - so why did it "run out of gas" with 2...almost 3 gallons still in there?

it seems to "run out" quicker than older gen cars, is the fuel pump set up different, sits higher or something?

i mean - yeah i know, don't run it that low, but i'm curious what the difference is and i'm definitely not keen on it running out a couple miles after the low light, that doesn't sound right.

fuel pump sock might be clogged down in the lower portion, so it can not bring fuel in when it gets low.

thats what i would check first.

i can't imagine the 'small' side, driver side of the tank only holds 2 gal. but not drawing fuel from both side does come to mind.

maybe there is a hole in the "suck up" tube on one side that defeats the actual pick up.

How sure are you about the actual capacity of the tank? I remember Car &Driver complaining about running out of gas in a 1st gen Impreza with a 16 gallon tank, filling the tank after it ran out and it only taking 14 gals.

Nathan