Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Bad...bought ej25d instead of ej251

Well I messed up a bit and bought a remanufactured EJ25D Long Block for my daughters 2000 subaru forester L. and it looks like teh Suby presently has a SOHC engine and not the DOHC like I bought (and can't return). The SOHC timing belt idler came loose and the timing belt broke while at highway speeds and Subaru Dealer said it ruined the engine :)

What parts do I need to find/buy to be able to put the EJ25D (DOHC) in where the EJ251 (SOHC) engine was.

From what can piece together I need: Intake Manifold for EJ25D and The ECU (but I dont know what # to get). What else do I need?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

this is not the easiest subaru swap to do.

the intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

folks have swapped the intake manifold wiring harness. that way all the wiring stays with the car, you put the original wiring on the new motor. but i think there's one glitch to that - like the idle controller is different i think. i would look into going that route first personally and see folks experiences with doing that. there's some threads already discussing that.

the original engine is probably repairable, folks fix them all the time. when they break the valves get bent so you just replace the valves - basically doing a head gasket job which is a good thing on these motors anyway.

is it an option to sell the SOHC and repair the DOHC? i wouldn't want a remanned unless it's from someone very familiar with subaru's, like CCR or a local i'm working with.

the 2000 SOHC was still an interference engine? I Agree with trying to sell the 'wrong' engine and repair the valves (if they truly got damaged.) You should be able to get back what you paid for the 'wrong' engine. Did you buy a new or reman'd engine, or a used one for cheaper than fixing the 'broken' one?

but i think there's one glitch to that - like the idle controller is different i think.

Oh good point, the dohc was MAF based, the other engine is speed density MAP based, so that is likely to be tricky to swap over.

Also would that engine even bolt up to the trans? Sometimes the number of bolts and dowel locations are different.

The old engine might not have been 'destroyed' anyway; yes it may have ben t a few valves, but since you had to pull the old engine anyway, the heads could just be pulled, repaired, and reinstalled. ccrengines.com sells good Subaru engines.

If by chance you bought the new engine on a credit card, you might have some leverage there, since you can always dispute the charge. If the sales slip stated positively no returns you're probably out of luck, but if the return policy is not stated, the credit card cos will often side with the consumer and the seller might just let you return the engine if you threaten to dispute the charge. I would ask them before disputing because the seller gets charged like $50 minimum for a dispute.

Edited by porcupine73

I is not too hard to pull the SOHC heads off and swap the pistons and Heads from the SOHC into/onto the DOHC.

Swappin pistons is the hardest part. But can be done without splitting the cases.

OR.......pull the heads and repair the valves.......

And honestly, have you put a belt back on it and tried a compression test? I've been lucky with a few SOHCs that have broken belts, but not bent vavles.

Definately worth hanging an old belt on it and testing compression/ test running it.

From what can piece together I need: Intake Manifold for EJ25D and The ECU (but I dont know what # to get). What else do I need?

If you go this route....all you need is the manifold. You will have to swap you're wiring harness onto the DOHC manifold. engine will run fine off the original forrester/sohc electronics....but as mentioned.....you will have issues with the IAC.

On the SOHC...the IAC is on the throttle body. Will run without it, but may have to give it a bit of gas on startup and warm it up for a few seconds before it will idle right.

Oh....and plug wires......you'll have to swap the coil ends from you're SOHC wires onto a set of DOHC ones. (Male vs. Female coil towers respectively).

I could build you one at a reasonable cost PM me for details.
this is the one of few guys i'd pay to get a Subaru rebuilt engine from. see if you can return/resell the old one? not just to get the right motor but to have a better product from someone very well acquainted with Subarus.