Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT v8?

rpholz

so i have a 86 XT DL that i recently pulled the motor out of with the intentions of an ej22 swap.

now ej22s have been done so much. then i was thinking ej20g then i looked into my bank account and quickly realized THAT'S not going to happen:lol:

so what do you guys think of a smallblock v8 put in there? i can find them cheap all day long. throw in a sube rear end, 302, 350 motor or whatever mated with a turbo 350/400 or again whatever bolts to the motor. a simple 4bbl carb, some fancy exhaust and whalla, an awsome wtf? car!

now i reallize the need for beefer springs up front and lack of handling but who cares? my 89 gets good milage and is fun to drive, so i just want to do something off the wall with this car.

so whatcha guys think? doable or stupid idea?

thanks,

_Ryan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to a swap then just putting an egine in. If you think your bankaccount hurts now, try doing a swap that requires a lot of "engineering"

I dont know if the subaru chassis can handle the weight and torque of a v-8. Brakes will have to be upgraded too. The rear diff may not take it, and bolting it up to a subaru tranny i know that wont take it.

there will definatly not be a subaru trans in there. if the rear end wont take it ill tub the rear and go with a ford 9"

i know there is more to it than dropping a motor and going. i was thinking subframe connectors, and as much bracing as possible. i can weld. should be fun. and realisticly i can find a motor and trans for cheaper than i can find one good subaru engine, and more than likely have it shipped to me.

again im just throwing around the idea.

again, mazda stuff.........................ive seen a rx w/ that motor. I used to rock a festiva (dont laugh) there is a motor mount kit to bolt a 13b into a festiva. my point: if a festy can handle it a xt surely can. think of the sleeper aspect, kinda hard to hide a v8, not to mention the difficulties of making that swap doable. by all means do what you want!!!! anywho just my $.02

RV

dammit. so what else is there?
don't let that stop you, just because it's been done once or twice. get yours done right, make it an actual driver and post pic's. sounds like you have little rhyme or reason to it, so get your sawzall and welder fired up and get off the computer! :lol:

i just see so many EJ convertions and EA rebuilds. i just want to be like "F you ive got a V8!" lol. kinda like a novelty car i suppose.

who knows what ill do. i sure don't. all i know is i have a rust free 86 XT DL waiting for something.

AHHH new thought. I used to work for a guy that specialized in old VW engines. he offered me a oversized, dual carb, crazy motor. (and still owes me a paint job) im not sure of the HP numbers you can acheive from one of those motors but i think it would be cool.

I built a 1914cc type 1 VW for a sand rail. It was fun, but don't expect mind blowing speed. They are good for about 100hp. 1914 is the biggest type 1 you can build without stroking it. (stock 68mm crank, 94 mm pistons.) These motors can't take much compression. And if you do go this route, don't go crazy with carbs. 1.9l engine only needs so much gas. Sounds like a fun project.

There are some very small V-8's around

http://www.roadcarvin.com/hartley-enterprises-v8

Or better yet, a large V-6

now this is just beyond cool.

i thought about a motorcycle engine for a minute, but i just dont think it would have the torque to get the car moving. take a 1000cc inline 4 cocked sidewise with those 4 carbs ooohhh, it would look so cool.

did you have the 3.8 turbo motor. cause those are sweet.

i suppose it prolly wasnt the "gnx" cuz it wasnt supercharged, had a electronic carb tho. WAY FAST. those 3.8s were designed for running 24hrs le mons (now good for 24 hrs lemons:lol:) they were designed to sustain high rpms