Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.8 XT turbo for engine swap.. Any performance upgrades?

I have a 73 Porsche 914.. Ya, what am I doing here right??

Well I have a friend that has an 1.8 XT turbo engine that he'll sell to me for 150 bucks. I have a limited budjet, and I'll get the hoses and all that lined through the car with the XT engine, then I'll go to a Subaru EJ20DETT 280hp engine when i get more money.. but this other engine is the first step.

I have a friend that is going the Flat 4 twin turbo route right now, so I'll be able to follow his example when Im ready.

My question? Are their any web sites or stuff that have performance stuff for the 1.8 xt turbo engine? I know its a turbo engine so I should be able to pump it up a bunch with a big turbo.. but if I wanted to keep the turbo what else could I do to it? an intercooler plus pumping up the boost?? What do you guys think?

Btw the 914 is probably the best handling car on the road.. it weighs 2000lbs and it stops on a dime. I just hate the VW engine that comes stock with like 80hp..

Oh ya, im 17 and this is my first car.. My dad has 2 944 turbo Porsche's one is a race car which we are building right now, and it should have about 420+ crank hp..

I hope I can fit in this community..

Thanks guys!

Andrew

Im getting the engine for nothing. Im just using it for a basis for my conversion for the EJ 20..

And I doubt a mr2 will beat my 914 in the twisties.. I have full racing suspension :D

Anyone answer the question? Im thinking that If I turn up the boost, run a basically straight through exhaust, free flowing intake, intercooler.. and have a Megasquirt for a computer. I'll be getting a bit of hp.. And I'll be able to put most of that stuff on the EJ 20 engine.

Andrew

Whats the average hp that you can get with running a good amount of boost and an intercooler.. Like with 11psi (if thats not too high..), My dads 951 engine can run 21psi, with like 420hp.. So I like boost..:D

Anyone have any pics of some of the mods they have done with this engine? Oh and whats the tech name for the 1.8 XT turbo engine?

Thanks

Andrew

well, i better say it before somebody screams it at you(just kidding)

if you try a search, you will find more than enough info on these kind of mods. i guess 14 is about as high as you want to go. it also depends on the year system you have. if its a flapper maf sensor, or a hotwire. hotwire is the later one, with the fuel cut.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=42013&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

theres a realy good thread about real dyno numbers, wich are usually disapointing, because you always think you have more power than you do.

150 to the rubber should be a good goal

till you go all out with a haltech and a big fat turbo.

Thanks, I did search the archives after I posted, but I didnt see anything aside from that 8 page thread on a guy with a heck of a lot of hp..

150 to the wheels, hmm What is the flywheel loss for the XT's? I dont have an xt..

Thanks man.

Andrew

have you found any wiring diagrams made for you swap? i have found info all over the web about your swap, but never got a good description on how to make the efi work without the whole dash and guages. that would be my main concern, getting it running(but maybe im the only one that had problems).

doing an ea81(xt turbo) will need an adapter plate. but if you do that, and go with an ej22 motor later, the ej22 has a different bellhousuing(you will need another adapter) and it will have another ecu.

something to keep in mind, but nothing to stop you from doing it

dam skip, you have no relent. obviously a typo, you seem to call these things out as if i didnt know better.

my point is, if he designs his ride around the xt motro EA82, he will have to go with a different configuration to go with the ej motor, different bellhousing and ecu

Originally posted by MilesFox

dam skip, you have no relent.

Hey, don't take it personally. Somebody like me, who doesn't know an XT from a hole in the ground, would have assumed from your post that they could be had with an EA81. I appreciated his correction, so I didn't pick up misinformation. It's not like he's "out to get you" when he fixes misinfo so folks like me don't get it wrong.

the ej20 and ej22 have the same bellhousing, but has a different bellhousing than the xt turbo. so whichever motor is used, either one will require a different adaptor, or one that would acommodate both

"Please excuse me for asking but

Donald you say"

this is what i mean.

skip knows what i mean. read the other posts too, how many more parking spots in skip's backyard?