Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL Stereo upgrade / build

So i got a bit into it the other day and wanted to start a thread for the next noobie trying to figure it out.

First off - this isn't going to be a show car. It's my commuter car and I just want quality tunes w/ bluetooth support (i always miss phone calls while driving...)

Even though part of me says to keep it simple I tend to go a bit overboard and will likely do more than really needed.

So here's where we stand now:

Stock stereo (AM and FM!):

DSC_3949.JPG

I barely can call these speakers... they really are more of a hiss/pop/fuzz generator at this point...

DSC_3929.JPGDSC_3935.JPG

Left and Right. As you can see - the surrounds are GONE - totally cracked/missing from sitting / just plain old.

And amusingly enough - here's the back of the speaker:

DSC_3963.JPG

10 Watts! woohoo - the POWER!

General other pics:

DSC_3927.JPG

Doors were in good shape - if anyone is local and wants these vapor barriers - they are clean and free to a good home. hate to throw them out, but won't be using them.

DSC_3962.JPG

some odd venting at the bottom and a couple spots of foam - this one right behind the stock speaker... obviously to help calm down all 10w of serious power.

DSC_3964.JPG

i tried to get a decent shot of the stock standoffs - here's the best i could manage one handed...

OK, with that out of the way - here's my plan:

Doors - some nice components i have kicking around.

Head Unit (HU) - an extra Pioneer DEH-P710BT i was going to put in my landcruiser, but now is soobie bound. Cruiser will get something different when it's finally ready.

Amp - PDX 4.150 for doors.
:lol:

Sub - Still TBD, but leaning towards an inexpensive "slim" sub like pioneer has.

Again - no stereo competitions planned, but good tunes are needed and I like a bit of (non rattling) bass.

I need to get some updated pics after some elbow grease on the doors themselves.

Meanwhile, here's the door speakers i'm going with:

DSC_3965.JPG

The New and the Old...

Can't wait!

I have some comparison shots (size, depth) and will get more pics of them soon - hopefully after install!

It will be a few days, but i'll try to come back and make updates as i go.

Thanks for everyone's help!

rob

The head unit will not fit without a spacer ("installation kit" :rolleyes:)

But they now make inexpensive non-mechanical head units that don't have the CD player and are about 2" deep. Those can be made to fit without the spacer.

GD

Thanks GD. Yep - i have the Metra wiring kit on it's way and the adapter kit for the HU should be here any day as well.

I saw the boss audio mp3 deck a while back - but i'm going for more geek points with bluetooth and ipod control... hey i'm a geek. Don't even get me started on LED's...

Thanks!!

rob

Yeah - I have one of the early stereo bluetooth decks in my '91 SS. Sucks for taking phone calls but rocks for playing music from my phone. Love that feature.

But on the geek side of things - CD's are pretty much outdated. I would give a mechless deck with a sleek install that doesn't use a spacer MORE geek points ;)

I'm a former software engineer. You can't out-geek me I assure you :lol:.

GD

Yeah - I have one of the early stereo bluetooth decks in my '91 SS. Sucks for taking phone calls but rocks for playing music from my phone. Love that feature.

But on the geek side of things - CD's are pretty much outdated. I would give a mechless deck with a sleek install that doesn't use a spacer MORE geek points ;)

GD

hehehe - nice. I think we are different types of geeks. I don't code, but am a server guy - more hardware and solutions focus. Get me on LED's and i might give you a run for your money!

back to topic - yeah BT has come a LONG way recently.

I still pop a cd in on occasion (typically on the way home from buying it), or when i don't have the ipod handy... I still like the flexibility. I will hopefully have this setup w/ an easy access usb port to just plug in (either ipod cable to ipod, or usb drive w/ mp3's).

I'll get pics as i go and may start another more general "cool stuff i've done to my soobie" thread. where i can post up my COOL new cup holder, and LED replacement dome light.:cool:

rob

Nice start man! Lookin' forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks GD. Yep - i have the Metra wiring kit on it's way and the adapter kit for the HU should be here any day as well.

I saw the boss audio mp3 deck a while back - but i'm going for more geek points with bluetooth and ipod control... hey i'm a geek. Don't even get me started on LED's...

Thanks!!

rob

GD

The next HU I am going to get doesn't have CD's at all, but is the same size still because it has a hard drive in it ;) So ya, not all no CD decks are smaller :D

Are we now having a geek contest? I want in! Who's running modified firmware they installed to control some major aspect of their car like the engine or transmission? Because I am! I also work on a mainframe for a living... Does it really get anymore geeky than that? :lol:

Edited by eulogious

Does it really get anymore geeky than that? :lol:

I know someone that uses a 1980's IBM 3000 series mainframe as an industrial label printer for mass-mailing..... he lives in a warehouse along with his mainframe and other stuff he has collected through his junk hoarding proclivities.....

Beat that for geek-ness :lol:. I know I can't.

GD

I know someone that uses a 1980's IBM 3000 series mainframe as an industrial label printer for mass-mailing..... he lives in a warehouse along with his mainframe and other stuff he has collected through his junk hoarding proclivities.....

Beat that for geek-ness :lol:. I know I can't.

GD

WOW :eek: There's a one up I wasn't expecting :lol: I though that I was a geek, geesh, I guess not! He takes the cake on that one for sure!

But it would be pretty sweet to have your own mainframe just hanging out in your living room :lol: That would make for some interesting dinner conversation :grin:

I had to buy this spacer for my deck to fit, its pretty clean though and gave me a little extra chubby hole (which I don't really have a use for), came with Ipod connection cable and I just installed that threw the glove box...

0819001314.jpg

-Nomad

Thanks Nomad! I have mine on it's way. I wanted to try one i heard was pretty good - American International SB-K930

2292.jpg

I like how it's a bit more angled on the ends. Worst case there's a Metra kit at the local audio shop i can use.

Umm...:-\ an extra "chubby" hole? Dude you need to get a girlfriend! it's ok to love you car, just don't LOVE your car! :lol: hehehe.

I got a lot done to the doors the last few days - Second skin audio rocks. Updates and pics soon.

rob

haha chubby....yeah I can't remember what site I got mine of but it came with a bunch of different plates or whatever they are called. it was cheap...

I said chubby...:lol::lol::lol:

-Nomad

Yeah you probably have the Metra 99-8900 install kit (or it's re-brand equiv).

Then the wiring kit is Metra 71-8901. Just trying to post up all the options for the next person searching. I decided to use the wiring kit just so if i needed to i can easily swap in the stock stereo again. I don't have any plans on selling the DL anytime soon, but good to have options.

HTH!

rob

Thought it might be helpful to see what the old ones looked like for dimensions, then compared with new:

DSC_3966.JPG

DSC_3968.JPG

Old

DSC_3967.JPG

DSC_3969.JPG

New!

DSC_3973.JPG

And a bit 'o Driver Pr0n! Damn they are sexy... imo. (but i won't be using any extra chubby hole in my car) :lol:

Next update will be pics of the doors and Damplified.:brow:

update - doors and dash kit.

Doors - i did some work this weekend on getting them ready for dampener. So I cut some thin flashing to the right size and siliconed it into place so it won't rattle. Sealing it up is supposed to make the midbass sound better/cleaner.

DSC_3927.JPG

Before

IMG_20100823_160815.jpg

After

Also - unfortunately the dash kit they sent me (though i ordered the AI one above) - was the same Schoshe Metra Equivalent Nomad pictured above. I know it works, and it looks fine. I'll live with it being the same as the rest. No biggie.

Getting dampener finished and will get more pics soon.

rob

Edited by sl33py

Also - unfortunately the dash kit they sent me (though i ordered the AI one above) - was the same Schoshe Metra Equivalent Nomad pictured above. I know it works, and it looks fine. I'll live with it being the same as the rest. No biggie.

rob

COPY CAT!!!!!:lol: jk..

-Nomad

COPY CAT!!!!!:lol: jk..

-Nomad

LOL - yeah i want to be cool like you's guys!

What door speakers are you running in yours? From HU or amp'd?

All i know is - if these don't sound F'ing amazing after all the time i spent sealing and dampening the doors... I'm going to be pissed.:mad:

But i think they will sound great - we'll find out soon!

rob

LOL - yeah i want to be cool like you's guys!

What door speakers are you running in yours? From HU or amp'd?

All i know is - if these don't sound F'ing amazing after all the time i spent sealing and dampening the doors... I'm going to be pissed.:mad:

But i think they will sound great - we'll find out soon!

rob

I just have some 5.25'' power bass speakers in the kick panel via H.U and some 6x9 and 12'' sub via amp.....I need some new bumps though...getting worn out and your post makes me want some BUMPPPSSS.

Let us know how it sounds....

-Nomad

Thats odd I would swear that the 720's were supposed to be oversized 6 1/2s but a tape don't lie.

BTW which damping material you gonna use? or are you using mat and spray?

Mike

Hey Mike - yeah, they are just a bit bigger. I didn't hold it totally tight on the side, so maybe an 1/8-1/16th probably less. (from looking at my pic)

I'm using some spare Second Skin Damplifier Pro i have kicking around. I got too much for my Landcruiser project truck. So the sooby gets it. :)

I'm just using the Mat, no spray. I don't plan on actually buying anything else - these are all bits i had and repurposed to the soob. Trying to keep cost down because this is my commuter and if i were to add it up probably worth more than the car. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it will sound great and be worth the effort!

rob

this stuff works great for sound deadening. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhi/R-100028603/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Are those speakers going to clear the windows when rolled dowm? I'm kinda doing a system in the '88 coupe i just bought and need to find some speakers to use.

That duct foil/foam looks promising. I'd only be concerned about any open cell foam for wet/mold issues. And temp range for adhesive life. Cars get hot and it may fail from being too hot inside. but for that price it's worth looking at. I'd look at it in the store first to make sure its some sort of closed cell foam first though.

As for clearing the windows - not easily. Having to really mess with it to make them fit unfortunately. If i were getting speakers specifically for the soob i'd get regular 6.5" speakers - preferably shallow mount ones. Then it's a drop in upgrade. (don't forget new wires!).

HTH!

rob

That wont take much for me I paid $450 for my new toy.. Granted it's 2 wheel drive but I kinda like it. Lets see 1 sub and a mediocre amp or just one good sub like an SI or maybe ID Max and I can double the price of the car.

I will eventually have SI sub, but not in the soob. I was looking at the pioneer slims for quite a while (fair sub), but ended up ordering RE Audio SL 12 instead. I'm going to have a small box made (.6 - .7) for it and bridge my back channels for the sub (300w RMS) which should work perfect. Not booming down the road shaking windows, but should have some decent bump. :)

That's the plan! We'll see what actually happens.

rob