Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So...Am I the first to have a Frankenmotor in his Brat?

renob123

:lol: That's great! Thanks for the correction :) Just had to say something because it made me laugh when I read that.

Heh, those two are so often confused:lol:

From what everyones been saying this motor must really smoke the tires in a light vehicle. Im getting some money fairly soon here and am putting into consideration swapping an ej into my buggy. it currently has an ea81 with a 4 speed and i know one thing is for certain it would need at the very least a 5 speed dual range though it might be wiser to just go to a new generation transmission. On thing that differs though is with this swap i would be mainly using it for offroad so i would likely be running 31 inch tires so i think it wouldnt have a much of an issue burning up tires. i dont suppose id do a frankenmotor swap unless i could find one at the junkyard but i know that one of those in my 1,000 lbs buggy would be absolutely neck breaking speed. For now though id like to see about putting an ej in the buggy.

I got bored with a regular EJ22 in my Brat, but then, I couldn't use much of the Frankenmotor power until I switched to an AWD transmission with LSDs on both ends. Buggies are RWD, right? In that case, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make. Both would haul:banana:

Jacob

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, those two are so often confused:lol:

I got bored with a regular EJ22 in my Brat, but then, I couldn't use much of the Frankenmotor power until I switched to an AWD transmission with LSDs on both ends. Buggies are RWD, right? In that case, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make. Both would haul:banana:

Jacob

well i call it a buggy but it is basically a subaru wagon/brat. It has an ea81 with a 4 speed so its fwd when not in 4wd. Yeah its true a frankenmotor would do nothing but spin the tires on this thing, it only weighs like 1,000 lbs. Im planning on going EJ once i get the funds and of course ill have to use a dual range 5 speed cause ive managed to destroy 4 speeds with just stock power, i can only imagine what doubling the power would do. I now need to do some measuring to determine whether an EJ will even fit in there without modifying the frame