Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seems like another day, another problem... I've got a 98 OBW, original stereo/CD. A few months back I successfully wired in a aux jack to connect my ipod there. All was fine till I replaced the carpet about a week ago and apparently pulled some of the aux jack wires in process. Took the stereo out, fixed up all the wires, but now the clock/radio setting memory is gone. Everything else works, but it is awfully annoying and I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions here? Anyone knows which is the "memory" wire on the harness (and how to test it to make sure it's not the wire)?

How would I check the power? I'm pretty good with DIY, but never done any electrical on cars. Do I use one of those screwdrivers with light? Where would I attach the negative connector?

BTW, I used these instructions to wire in the aux, so really can't take much of the credit for that: http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14168

To use a 12 volt tester, the clip goes to a ground point and the tip of the device touches positive. You might have to find a ground point like a screw or bolt by trial and error using a circuit that you know is hot to make sure you have a good ground point before actually testing the culprit circuit. Not all screws and the like are good ground points.

If you have a multimeter, you can do exactly the same test by touching the black lead to ground and red to hot while having the meter setting to 20 volt or up DC. If you get a zero reading, the circuit is dead.

Take a second before you go through the testing to check your fuses. It's entirely possible that when you were removing the radio that you accidentally blew a fuse and that's why the constant hot memory circuit is not functioning. Check the simplest and most obvious first always.