Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 5spd swap gone bad... help!

TheSubaruJunkie

So I have Jibs down here, we're putting a EA82 5spd into his Hatchback.

We have jerry's kit, we finally got the 5spd mated to the EA81, but we cannot get the clutch to disengage. It was a pain in the rump roast just getting it bolted together... took us 5 tries and finally we have the two together. However, when we press the clutch pedal the clutch fork moves maybe 1/2" at most and it does not disengage the clutch.

The parts we used are.

EA81 flywheel

EA81 pressure plate

EA82 clutch disc

EA82 throwout bearing

D/R EA82 5 speed.

Can anyone help, give us some insight?

So I have Jibs down here, we're putting a EA82 5spd into his Hatchback.

We have jerry's kit, we finally got the 5spd mated to the EA81, but we cannot get the clutch to disengage. It was a pain in the rump roast just getting it bolted together... took us 5 tries and finally we have the two together. However, when we press the clutch pedal the clutch fork moves maybe 1/2" at most and it does not disengage the clutch.

The parts we used are.

EA81 flywheel

EA81 pressure plate

EA82 clutch disc

EA82 throwout bearing

D/R EA82 5 speed.

Can anyone help, give us some insight?

Is there possibly some conflict with the EA81 pressure plate and the EA82 release bearing? When I did my swap I used a complete XT6 clutch kit and machined an EA81 flywheel to the XT6 step dimension and it has always worked fine for me.

Some of the EA82 disc's will not fit inside the EA81 pressure plate. IIRC it has to be an 85/86 disc with the small, round damper spring assembly. The larger "squarish" damper spring disc's will not fit down in the pressure plate and so cannot be used. The recipe for what you are using is:

EA81 225mm flywheel (best way to go since you retain the timing marks and no bell-housing mods)

EA81 225mm pressure plate

85/86 EA82 4WD clutch disc

EA82 5 speed 4WD T/O (yes it's a bit large but will work)

Any Subaru pilot (all the same)

The other option is to have the flywheel reground to the EA82 step (.815" instead of .900") and use the EA81 flywheel and any off-the-shelf EA82 4WD clutch kit.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Flywheel with the wrong step? Was it resurfaced? If it's too shallow it would grab too hard and be unable to release even at full travel of the fork.....

Did the two just slide together? No forcing involved or drawing up with bolts, etc right?

The pressure plate bolts are tight and both of the dowel pins are located beneath holes in the pressure plate right? I've see a pressure plate torqued down with a dowel pin not properly located and holding up the edge of the plate.

GD

The pressure plate sat flush against the flywheel. I did notice that when the pressure plate was bolted down, all the spring plates on the plate itself moved inwards... instead of sticking at an outward angle.

We just finished bolting everything together and it wont disengage the clutch. Ive adjusted the clutch cable to the point where it will not go any farther, and the clutch fork bottoms out when the pedal is pushed to the floor.... but the car wont come out of gear or shift etc.

Hhhhmmm - try putting some washers, etc under the nut for the clutch cable to get more adjustment. Could be that the cable needs replaced and has stretched? What about the cable sheath? Secured at both ends properly?

If that doesn't do it - take it back apart cause something's wrong. :rolleyes:

The PP fingers going flat like that is normal when you tighten them down. I always tighten them through the starter hole though - makes fitting the engine up to the tranny easier and faster.

GD

So it was the damper spring/PP interferance problem?

That was my first thought since I've looked at that problem before and noted the intereferance between the two. Plus Jerry brought it to my attention when I was at his place and got my 5 speed and his kit. Then it came up on the board a while back and it was determined that 85/86 has the compatible damper springs.

GD

I had this same problem recently with my 5spd swap.

I would suggest using an EA82 Flywheel.

The EA81 flywheel is about 8mm thicker. (extra meat on the crank mating area)

Moves the friction face and the whole Disc/PP assembly closer to the trans. This leaves very little room for the Throwout bearing between the PP and the trans.

Also, the EA81 Pressure plate fingers don't mate well to the EA82 throwout bearing.

• 8 years later...
  • 5 months later...