Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Master Cylinder rebuild kit??

Brand new to Subaru's and this forum just got a quick question tried searching but no luck. My 1988 Subaru GL needs a new master cylinder and search every where for a rebuild for it and cant find it anybody know of a place that sells them?

Thanks

Not only do folks rarely rebuild MC's any more, they rarely rebuild Subaru's. it isn't worth it. Subaru masters very, very rarely fail. It's so rare there's just no market for it.

That's why so many subaru folks will recommend used MC's, they just don't fail and used ones are like $10, that's what i bought the last one for (ended up not being the master cylinder surprise surprise!).

Don't go to a junk yard, my time is too valuable for that, do exactly what you're trying to do with the rebuild kit and order it online. Nearly all junk yards ship now so just find the cheapest one and have it shipped.

That being said - Rockauto is probably the best place for a rebuild kit and insanely cheap prices sometimes too.

Yeah their catalog absolutely sucks. When you drill down through the models/options/engines - it shows parts for other applications that won't work for what you selected - it's pretty dumb because it's totally misleading. If you pick 4 cylinder, why even show 6 cylinder parts that are completely incompatible?.