Ultimate Subaru Message Board

24hours of lemons

So i have been asked to be a driver / mechanic in the 24 hour of lemons race next year. Now also i am one of a couple given the duty of finding a car. The rules state that you cant spend no more then 500 bucks on this lemon to race it. So here is what im looking for.

It needs to be fast so all loyale and there brothers are out. It needs to be light so all station wagons are out. I want it to be awd. I need it to last a constant 24 hours.

So im thinking 90-94 subaru legacy awd 5 speed. It doesnt need to look good it just needs to run and drive. It will be gutted and all glass removed most likely. If you can think up of any other car i would be interested in hearing what you had to say.

Ben

Yea its not a oval track its a roac course. Legacys are heavy as hell huh. I thought about a DL or a GL with a legacy motor and tranny but the suspension is key also. I need something i can either up grade or modify. And wheels are key also because its easier to bomb around a course with 16inch steelies vs 13inch or hard to find 15 inch.

Too bad I sold my old lemons Festiva to someone else. I've done 4 races so far. I've been fixing up my old GTI I bought back from a friend for $100. I'm hoping to do buttonwillow in december if I can get enough drivers and the cage done.

With that said I would just go for a legacy since you said you want the awd and an EJ. It won't be as light as an EA car but it will be much easier for you. Just gut it as much as you can. A lot of weight can be saved from removing everything from the doors and just welding them shut. you will also have much better suspension and braking options for a legacy too. An Impreza would be the best but it's very hard to find one for under $500.

well if it's in august again I would go with something that can take running in the heat. With our festiva we put in a radiator that was twice as big and had the fan on constantly so it wouldn't overheat. We were running altamont and thunderhill though, I'm not familiar with the omaha track.

Just get any old POS that will run and drive. If it blows up, who cares, that's part of the fun. I've always wanted to go to one of those and definitely would like to race in one some day as well. I understand that if your car looks like it might be worth more than $500 the crowd can vote to have it destroyed. Awesome.

I understand that if your car looks like it might be worth more than $500 the crowd can vote to have it destroyed. Awesome.

This is true, but the last few races I was in no one got enough votes to get crushed. It's mostly you being a idiot and pissing people off that gets you voted for the crusher.