Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Strongest EA Clutch Setup

My Brat with the Built EA81 has just gone though another Clutch with a Kevlar friction disk I think I'm going to need a stronger pressure plate or something the LUX brand one I have is for a RX Turbo and is suppose to be heavy duty and is alot stiffer than the stock ones but It still alittle slipped when it was new under full thottle in low gears (1st & 2sd) But now is pretty much shot its starting to slip in higher gears I just want to know how other people have fixed this problem are the XT6 pressure plates stronger than the 300 pound one I am running and what clutch set up works for the EJ swaps maybe I can use that setup?

My Brat with the Built EA81 has just gone though another Clutch with a Kevlar friction disk I think I'm going to need a stronger pressure plate or something the LUX brand one I have is for a RX Turbo and is suppose to be heavy duty and is alot stiffer than the stock ones but It still alittle slipped when it was new under full thottle in low gears (1st & 2sd) But now is pretty much shot its starting to slip in higher gears I just want to know how other people have fixed this problem are the XT6 pressure plates stronger than the 300 pound one I am running and what clutch set up works for the EJ swaps maybe I can use that setup?

I used a clutch/PP for an XT6 from the dealer. I had bad luck with the fitment of aftermarket clutch stuff during the swap.

Jacob

The clutch I have is suppose to be a performance clutch already it has a 100 pounds more clamping force than stock or so the clutch builder Tested the pressure plates to be sure of the poundage and made me a Kevlar friction disk showed me Differences in the clamping force before I bought them but they don't warranty Proformance clutches when they are a custom Build. The company that made the setup are a clutch and brake rebuilder in Johnson City TN that makes clutches for a NASCAR builder Morgan McCullure in Abington VA And Auto Zone. They said when I called them Today that if I can come up with A parts list for a clutch kit that will hold the horsepower they will sell it to me for half off And test the clutch for free thats alot better deal than I got the last time which was around $200 for the clutch setup thats in there now but they also said that if I can't find a stronger setup they would rebuild the friction disk I have and turn the flywheel for $80 And thats for another Kevlar Disk

But I really think its the Pressure plate not the friction disk like the are saying I think I need More Clamping force And they said I was already running a XT6 pressure plate COULD BE THAT THEY DIDN'T TURN THE FLYWHEEL TO XT6 SPEC THE LAST TIME ITS ONLY BEEN 17K SINCE THIS CLUTCH WAS INSTALLED

Edited by 84gl

I got some hi-po clutch in my wagon and its a little jerky and unforgiving. I'm blowing axles, just wearing them out on the inner joint. I put a stock xt6 clutch in my ejed brat and it does much better so far. Of course I have to disclaim my brat still needs tuning, injectors and some trouble shooting, so I'm not running at full potential, but, its not like its just 'on or off' like my wagon.

No there are on known makers of after market flywheels and at least two companies make after market clutches But the one I bought from the performance clutch and brake shop in my area wasn't that great I am begaining to think that they just sold me a xt6 Pressure plate and and kevlar disk which they made in house I have already pulled the engine ad the disk looks fine other than same high speed glazing from the slippage I have measured the flywheel and its depth was .892 they were suppose to turn it down to the xt6 spec which the book says is .815 So you all think this is the problem as I do or will a xt6 pressure plate work with a normal ea82 flywheel?

if they were supposed to turn it down and they didnt i would suspect that the clutch wouldnt disengage vs hold properly.

Another question about those spec clutches. They seem to have 2 clutches for each stage, as much as I hate the "stage" word, so which one is for what.

if they were supposed to turn it down and they didnt i would suspect that the clutch wouldnt disengage vs hold properly.

Another question about those spec clutches. They seem to have 2 clutches for each stage, as much as I hate the "stage" word, so which one is for what.

I don't which one is for what and i also hate the word stage its to ricey. by the way how do you know what stage your car would be in anyway its only for those Honda Kids anyway and they don't even work on their own car most of the time a shop does it and mommy and daddy pick up the tab.

I don't which one is for what and i also hate the word stage its to ricey. by the way how do you know what stage your car would be in anyway its only for those Honda Kids anyway and they don't even work on their own car most of the time a shop does it and mommy and daddy pick up the tab.

Or the flipside of it, most hondas arnt fast, just loud.

Basically the higher the stage the "better" it is, I know you knew that, but in any case for any make or model, manufacturers always make different stages so basically stage 5 is really super great. But for an ea-82t Im thinking stage 2 or 3 would be adequate for my powerlevel im hoping to achieve.

Anything above 200 hp at the wheels (for a long period of time) is rediculous to think of from an ea82 with stock internals.

I wish they were judged with power levels they can hold instead of stage crap.

Luckly, merkatroid's RS in my book of stages will be rated at a stage 19 for everything.

I also wish they would rate them for the power levels of hold too. but they don't as for the clutches I think they are way to pricy for me at this time not having constant work anyway so for now its put another xt6 clutch in it and hope for the best

I must say that the XT6 clutch setup (OEM from the dealer) that we used in the frankenmotor Brat is handling the power with no problem at all. The tranny is going to tear itself apart before that clutch gives out - I'm sure of that. It's rock solid and doesn't slip even under WOT from that rediculous torque monster under the hood. Being it's an OEM 165 HP clutch setup - it stand to reason it would handle your's and in fact seems to be capable of even a bit more.

In the case of clutches - there is so much aftermarket BS and marketing being thrown around - and the fitment of the parts is a total crap-shoot - the bad luck we had with aftermarket clutch peices totally soured me on them.

For your application and the power you are making I wouldn't hessitate even for a moment to tell you to get an XT6 disc and PP from the dealer. You can have whatever flywheel you are using restepped to the XT6 step height (.815") and you should be set.

GD

Thanks GD I think why the last clutch started slipping is be cause they didn't turn down the flywheel there is no way the flywheel was worn .070 in 17k they just didn't turn the thing down and they know it I think thats why they are offering me half off on the new pressure plate and disk at East TN Clutch and Brake I brought the flywheel to them this morning I measured it in front of them and the step was .891 and they measured it trying to prove me wrong they looked the specs for the XT6 flywheel up in there book .815 and they were wrong so they said they would turn the flywheel for free to spec and I would get half off on the clutch set with a Kevlar disk and the pressure plate will be oem for the XT6

The last clutch setup was a after market LUX for a XT6 or so they said

Edited by 84gl