Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 hi/lo 4:11 tranny guide: GUIDE IS SOLD donations not needed

I already did a write up on how to build this trans. For free. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98796&highlight=dual+range

Problem is.......it will eat gears eventually....at least with EJ power through it.

Also, there is only one type of early Legacy AWD spd that has the teeth count to match a standard EA 5spd.

it's "possible" but not really worth it when it will blow up after a few thousand miles.

you did it wrong ;)

mixing and matching gears like you did is definitely not necessary.

But, thread's like yours, and Bill's, and what proved this is possible.

Agreed... Something went wrong with your build. The thing about gears is you can't just run around willy-nilly interchanging without using marking paint to make sure the heel and toe (drive and coast) paint patterns very closely match the actual wear patterns on both of the used gears. It's unfortunate it failed since you were on the right path, but you never found out why or built another and neither did anyone else. Beefy's got 260K + on his. Proof of the pudding is worth paying....

A resolution has been reached. Due to a lack of donation offers, this thread is changing from AVAILABLE...to...you-snooze-you-lose.

Thanks to Skishop's generous offer and another big one from ShawnW, the guide is going private -- they'll own the guide and can do what they want with it. I'll write the guide, get it proofed by the builder, and send it to them.

I know that selling info is a bogus deal on forums, and I'm sorry it went down this way. But -- bottom line is -- time has proven that this info has little value to many, but it has real value to some. And they're footing the bill which is going to help me out a lot. Thanks guys.

Here's another way to look at it: most of us aren't going to go through the trouble to build this anyway -- those who've tried haven't finished. But Skishop and ShawnW are highly motivated to build this because they see an opportunity for themselves and for those who want one. Their problem is they can't afford the R&D, but they can afford to offer to buy the guide which saves them all the R&D.

Anyway, I'm going to get to work. I'll PM the one other guy who offered to donate.

Cheers,

Eric

BTW, the first tranny that went into the Beefaru used the lowest to highest EA & EJ gears mixed together and EA hi/lo. It also blew apart in about 500 miles, but the range from 1st to 5th was incredible. I kept 1st gear but progressively sheared the teeth off 2nd and 3rd. I was shifting from 1st to 4th before the builder got around to building this tranny.

PS: the builder had built one other EA 4:11 hi/lo tranny so he knew this one would work, and it's kicked rump roast behind a 2.2 engine, with 15" rims, hauling heavy gear that mashes the springs over the continental divide countless times. I even towed a camper from Arizona and made it over Vail pass before I broke down. Tranny was fine, but the driveshaft gave out (but my driveshaft problems are another story...LOL)

Edited by BeefaRu

And again, it failed, was never attempted again and no follow up on the failure. Therefore of no use other than a stepping stone.... Getting bent over this does no one any good.

I'm not being rude or critical of your skill or attempt. Anything could have caused the failure and no one can say whether or not you did the same build as the tech who built Beefy's trans. Too many variables.

Edited by skishop69

Anything could have caused the failure and no one can say whether or not you did the same build as the tech who built Beefy's trans. Too many variables.

Excactly.

Because he won't post the info of what he's done.

I already know what the recipe is.....and have posted it......

EA fulltime D/R upper shaft

EJ lower shaft withthe Fulltime EA gears pressed onto it(P/T 4wd EA gears won't fit the EJ Shaft)

AWD EJ tailsection

But I forgot.........I should hold that info hostage and make people pay me for it on a free site.....whatever..........

this whole thread is LAME. taking up bandwidth for no purpose at all.

you're still overthinking it. Leave the gears on the output shaft. and just swap the pinion.

Uh.....the output shaft is the pinion shaft.

Or rather the pinion is inside the output.

EA fulltime and the EJ AWD have different length shafts. The EJ pinion would be sticking WAY out the end of the EA outer shaft, and the end of the output shaft wouldn't reach the center diff.

They don't just bolt straight toghether. You have to swap gearsets.

Excactly.

Because he won't post the info of what he's done.

I already know what the recipe is.....and have posted it......

Then let me inform you, (since I have access to the info) your 'recipe' is incomplete. As far as the rest.... I concede... You're right and everyone else is wrong. Feel better now? :banana:

Uh.....the output shaft is the pinion shaft.

Or rather the pinion is inside the output.

EA fulltime and the EJ AWD have different length shafts. The EJ pinion would be sticking WAY out the end of the EA outer shaft, and the end of the output shaft wouldn't reach the center diff.

They don't just bolt straight toghether. You have to swap gearsets.

it's one piece on PT4WD gearboxes. but two separate pieces on FT4WD and AWD.

DSCF0461Medium.jpg

from a 4.111 EJ trans

EA FT4WD pinion is the longer of the 2.

use the center diff to match the pinion, of course.

I already know what the recipe is.....EA fulltime D/R upper shaft ....EJ lower shaft withthe Fulltime EA gears pressed onto it...AWD EJ tailsection. But I forgot.........I should hold that info hostage and make people pay me for it on a free site.....whatever..........this whole thread is LAME...
you're still overthinking it. Leave the gears on the output shaft. and just swap the pinion.

I'm not going after Gloyale because you have a different opinion than me. Likewise I haven't dropped into your thread and done what you're doing here.

I'd appreciate the same. I already said it's OK if people disagree, I assumed there'd be common courtesy.

What I'm seeing instead are attacks and a last ditch effort to "spoil" the "secret" transmission guide by attempting to "reveal" what's going to be in the guide.

People volunteered to pay for this info for a 230k built transmission. If fellow forum members don't agree, they don't need to participate in the thread let alone hijack it, attack it, and start posting what they believe the info to be. If you're attempting to get a buyer to back out, do what you wish, post what you want, but your actions speak volumes.

The arrangements/agreements have already been made, and the guide is being written.

I've already apologized for it being this way. I've already said it's not my first choice. I already used up the other options for getting this info without spending a bunch of money.

Edited by BeefaRu

Then let me inform you, (since I have access to the info) your 'recipe' is incomplete.

Didn't you ever learn in school that if you don't show your work you don't get credit?

Well since you or whoever started this TEASER b.s. of a thread won't show any pics, or any specs.......it may as well have never happened in my book.

Want to prove me wrong.......THEN PROVE IT with some pics and info rather than this petty crap.

What are you guys affraid of? This reminds me of late night info-mercials claiming

"I got rich and here's how........send me money to find out" And we all know just how legitimate those are.:rolleyes:

Want to prove me wrong.......THEN PROVE IT with some pics and info rather than this petty crap.

What are you guys affraid of?

People have paid for the info, including myself, and you're fishing and fishing to get the info posted for free. How long is this going to go on?

Other have volunteered to pay for the guide. If you don't agree, don't like the thread, feel it's petty, then I don't know why you're here.

This is an information sharing site.

In 5 years and 5000+ posts I have NEVER seen another case of a board member asking for money just for information.

If you were asking for money for a donor trans, or parts for the project....it would be differrent.

But you are just asking for money from people for the information and to me that is TOTALLY contrary to the whole point of this board.

If anything, at this point you are trying to sell something.....This whole thread should be in the "for sale" section since it isn't offering anything informative to anyone who doesn't pay you money.

You've made your point again and again. I share your opinion to a certain extent, but this thread isn't about your opinion. In fact it should be deleted because not only has the goal been accomplished, but you're here posting your opinion all over it, taking it off topic, attacking the OP, the thread, the premise, and fishing for information from others who've decided to keep it to themselves.

Everyone has had FOUR YEARS to get this information to the guys who bought it, and they've spent four years waiting and attempting to get it for themselves.

You're done -- you had your chance and they've moved on.

This is an information sharing site...In 5 years and 5000+ posts I have NEVER seen another case of a board member asking for money just for information.

If you were asking for money for a donor trans, or parts for the project....it would be differrent.

I assume you haven't read the "denver mad scientists" thread. I've already tried everything you're suggesting, and though everyone was very helpful and some went the extra mile, it never worked -- over a period of FOUR YEARS it never resulted in a built tranny.

I bought TWO donor transmissions

I asked for labor donations

I asked for shop donations

I asked for any info anyone had on the subject

I dug up and volunteered all the info I could get my hands on

The rest of my story and the costs I've incurred to get this info are already in this thread.

If anything, at this point you are trying to sell something.....This whole thread should be in the "for sale" section...
NO - read the F'ing thread.

This was going to be released to everyone -- THE VAST MAJORITY GETTING IT FOR FREE, THE FEW WHO VALUED IT VOLUNTEERING ANY DOLLAR AMOUNT THEY WANTED -- instead everyone sat on their rump roast, just like before, and a couple said it had no value.

So the ones that wanted the info, the ones who waited and tried for FOUR YEARS to get it, decided to take the lead. It was their idea.

Get over it, move on, I'll have ShawnW or someone delete or lock the thread.

Edited by BeefaRu

Im locking this thread.

I normally wouldn't pay for information but once in a while something comes up that will change things for many people and I step up to the plate and spend the cash.

I am starting my own Subaru shop here in Denver. Its called RetroRoo and it basically caters to people that love older Subaru's.

I will agree, the information that is in this guide is already on the forum if you know where to look, trust the author, etc. Im skeptical, and have the privilage of living in the same town as Eric here. I have driven this car in the mountains for a very short time and was amazed with its capabilities and durability. I felt a guide on how to copy it was worth it to me. Most of you didn't and that is fine.

I will likely be selling these hybrid transmissions at a very reasonable cost. Keep in mind it takes 3 trannys and if you want it exactly like Beefaru's unit you have to buy 2 gears from a Forester transmission to get the amazing 5th gear as well. A minimum of $300 spent in just core transmissions at the Pull and Pay yards plus the gears, seals, and my time. The price will probably be a little rediculous to some of you and that is fine with me as my time is worth something.

Vendors that cater to our vehicles are few and far between. I see a need for it and can't wait to help those people that aren't equipped to rebuild a transmission on their own have one in their car.

The guide may or may not be available for sale on my website later. Im still trying to decide if that is going to be worth the hassle. This thread has told me it may not be. Unfortunately that may be a case of a few people ruining a good thing for the majority.

The only option I see other than these trannys is to get an EJ trans from overseas. Thats a good option for people that can get one shipped here, and already have an EJ powered EA series car. This gets expensive as well, and believe me I have done a lot of digging into it.

I appreciate any comments you want to direct just do so via PM to me.