Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats broke on your subaru lately.

Thought i would start this thread since i have had multiple failures this past week alone.

Back brakes are worn out. NO warning or anything they just started grinding on both sides

Both headlights blew this week. They were 4 years old so i did get my moneys worth but while driveing home from work at night isnt the best time for that to happen. But then again it never is.

Drivers Side CV shaft is bad. Its clicking when im driving in a strait line now. Its on borrowed time.

Something is up with the front end. When im driveing on wet surfaces i can feel the passanger side move to the left and right but not the drivers side. Doesnt seem to effect the other front suspension though.

Heat is still not great. Need to replace the rad and look at that possible leak at the weephole.

I had to donate the battery to my other car because of these problems so now it wont even move.

Oh and it wont stop fast idleing.

Oh what a week

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving down the road last week I heard a "pop.....psssssssssssssssssssss".

Some A**hole's nail in the road cost me $500 in new tires.

Then on the same night I had to torch off a wheel stud on my GF's Sentra when I tried to do the brakes because the tire place cross threaded the lug nut.

YAY! 30 minute job turned into 3 hour job with all the running around for parts.

83 GLWagon 4x4.

Valves need adjusting.

Oil leak (valve cover maybe).

Exhaust leak.

U-joint/s are sloppy.

Drivers side blinker lens and headlight bezel need to be replaced

Passenger side door handle broke

Ignition switch is dead (Hotwire to start) :grin:

When heat or A/C is on Idle jumps up to 15

Hill holder is dead

Mismatched tires

Needs lift kit/big tires/tube bumpers/bullbar/winch/safari rack/fog lights

Stereo is funky

and there's a funny smell in it...

:)

93 Loyale

Oil pressure light doesn't.

One alternator belt broke on a long trip, middle of the night, middle of nowhere. Thought it was a cambelt at first, but a couple minutes with a pocket knife cut the old belt loose where it had wrapped itself around the pulleys and stalled the engine, and I carried on on the remaining belt, making sure I kept the revs down.

Starter motor contacts finally died, after a year or more of symptoms, and beating on the starter to get it to go.

Tires are starting to hydroplane again. Why do I get only 25,000 miles out of tires? I rarely drive faster than 60 MPH, I keep them at correct pressure, and htey wear dead even and FAST. Hankook, Kumho, Toyo: so far, I have not found tires that will last on this car.

Freak'en funny thread but not:lol:

Wife was driving home uphill (13 km's) from work turned on the interior heat and it blow a coolant hose and overheated. I was out of town and driving her car! :eek:

Seems like it blow the hose because of some kind of blockage caused by turning on the heat.:Flame:

Theories many theories but fixed hose (hose was long enough to cut out break and reconnect) and filled up with water drove it for 5 minutes and it was on it way to overheat again:banghead: but I was home.:grin:

Driving down the road last week I heard a "pop.....psssssssssssssssssssss".

Some A**hole's nail in the road cost me $500 in new tires.

Then on the same night I had to torch off a wheel stud on my GF's Sentra when I tried to do the brakes because the tire place cross threaded the lug nut.

YAY! 30 minute job turned into 3 hour job with all the running around for parts.

Ive been there, changing to winter wheels I had to break a stud on each wheel once. Any tire shop I visit is told up front "no rattle guns!!" and if possible I keep away from them except for tire mount and balance stuff.

Funny thread, about this time in my life, my moms trans dies, I got to fix it of course, week after that I blow a HG and have to swap engines in my daily driver. So, how it turns so fast into another whole can of worms? I dont know. Axles, wiring probs, carbie settings, brakes (4wd ea82 sedan rear struts maybe). I'm tuning now, happily.

Let's just say that for the past 6 months or so, both the '85 BRAT and the '88 GL10 Wagon have done their best to put me in the poorhouse.

Lot's of issues sprang out of the wood work, mainly small items, but still they cost money to fix.

Right now, the Wagon is sitting waiting for the mastercylinder to be replaced.

Son mentioned last weekend that his brakes are feeling funny.

So we jack it up and pull the front wheels, thinking it's due for new pads.

Nope.. Pads are like new, but there is no shiney area on the rotors, just rust. Not good.

BRAT is wanting to run hot lately, along with other issues.

Radiator, T-stat(OEM) are new as of last February. Waterpump is 3 years old and an OEM unit, (replaced it shortly after buying the BRAT). All hoses are new during the past few months.

Won't get into the '07 Chevy HHR, as that stuff don't belong on here. But still, it's costing me money....

On Project EZPandaWagon: Scratching my head on what to do about a radiator - it's gonna have to go where the a/c condenser used to be since the timeing chain covers are sitting where the radiator would go. Wiring, suspension, brakes all need finishing.

My sister's 02 Outback is playing games with me: Runs fine at home, but when I take it to Tucson (about 2600ft lower in elevation), it stumbles, coughs, and bogs like mad with no CEL to tell me what is broke: stupid automotive computers trying to work with semi working sensors/actuators. :mad: I am waiting on a ODBII device to arrive so I can log the computer while it's running to help diagnose what is wrong.

Another sister's 87 wagon doesn't like cold weather - high idle and no power. Weather warms up and the car is fine! :confused:

My blue 87 wagon drinks coolant just as fast as it drinks fuel and has the opposite problem the other 87 has - idles at 3000 rpm with bog city when it's hot and dry out and just fine when it's cold and wet out. CEL code for the purge control solenoid. Although it's mostly due to the drinking coolant that is giving that one the grief.....I think.

And why are Subarus so jealous of one another? One breaks, I fix it and then it's "Me too! Me too!" What gives?

I do rotate my tires. The alignment is fine. Wear is dead even. A little more on the front than the back, but that is why they get rotated. I only use 4WD when I need 4WD (steep, loose hills at this time of year).

It eats tires.

More like needs attention, not broken since my Baja is still pretty new.

Engine bay kinda smells now because all the dust from off roading coming back from WCSS is "baking"

Small brush scratches on cladding need to be buffed out.

Headlights could use a polish

Gouge on fender flare needs to be sanded and touched up.

Seat padding in passenger seat kinda mushed out of shape. When it gets bad enough, changing to leather and more cushion :slobber:

Which one? Good lord - I'm in the shop every day looking at broken parts! :lol:

This year seems to be EJ 5MT wonderland around my shop - besides buying two cars to flip due to bad 5MT's, I ended up with one of the replacement units being bad (had to replace a second time :mad:), and now I've got a JDM STi 5 speed here with blown bearings on the pinion shaft - very strange failure in my experience. :confused:. In general I'm not impressed with the EJ 5MT's at all. When the 6 speed's are more common I can see a lot of 6MT swaps on the horizon. So far I've seen 5 bad 5MT's this year and not a single one looks to have been abused in any way - just plain jane non-turbo daily driver's that have failed bearings or ripped up gears.

I've always got something broken around here. The clutch in my turbo is shot - been dead for months and no time to bother with it or "fun money" to buy the parts I really want for the job ($$$$$).

Alternators always seem to be giving up around every corner. Brakes too - I think I've done at least a dozen warped rotor jobs in the last 6 months - Nissan's and Honda's besides the Subaru's - seems to be a common issue.

Engine swaps, engine builds, crazy siezed-up rusted junk all over the place :lol:. It's almost too much to handle.

GD

1981 Wagon GL

Master Cylinder was leaking down and I finally replaced it recently and bled it, but didn't do a full brake bleed... kinda thought I'd be doing the rear disk conversion soon, but that's been put on hold til I can confirm a 6 lug swap or not.. :)

anyways, next issue is:

Water pump is growling a bit, so I've got the part, just need the time.

• 3 months later...

Found this gem of a thread, thought I'd add to it.

'94 Loyale 5spd SPFI

Power door locks disabled by the previous owner. He said they were cycling constantly on their own, and it would cost a lot of money to get them fixed, so he "pulled the relay". Thoughts?

Intermittent wipers work intermittently. They stutter across the windshield, sometimes they take a break mid-cycle.

Hatch struts are pretty weak, but I've got a broomstick to fix that.

Idle bounces sometimes after the car is warmed-up. The vacuum gauge drops as the idle drops, so I don't think it's the idle air circuit. Perhaps it's getting air from the EGR or purge, & going lean. It did this before & after I changed the oxygen sensor. :-\