Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R questions - latest years and models?

I''ve started watching the local market for 80's era Subbees but so far haven't seen anything older than 87- Loyale style.

Frankly, I'm only interested in a rig with the Dual Range. I've had it in the past and won't bother with a project Sube that doesn't have it.

Reading another D/R thread there was referance to D/R as late as '89 - I'd only seen it in the 2nd gen (up to 86?). When looking at Loyale era cars, are there models to look for? Any sort of a tell tale other than looking inside the car and seeing the second shift lever?

Thinking 'outloud", I guess I could find a whatever 4wd and swap in the D/R later?

Here in Chile Loyales were sold new until 93, that's the one I have, and it has MPFI non-turbo, and 5 speed D/R.

Yeah the overseas markets are RICH with D/R units. I have a Legacy now and there are D/R units for it available beyond North America.

There have been threads about getting them shipped from Australia and New Zealand... more recently Central America, but I don't know that any of it worked out. All things being equal, for what I'd end up putting into a 2nd Gen rig, $1k to $2K wouldn't be crazy for a D/R unit to fit my Legacy.

Of course I can work on a project an affordable bit at a time, but the situation being what it is, I'm forced to consider a 20+ yo rig- that I'll have an even tougher time finding parts for here in the Northeast.

I left Oregon last year and there are old Subes all over the place there. Here it seems pretty slim.

And as for the MPFI- all the better, absolutely. Another reason to stick with the Legacy... there's better technology in there, for sure.

Right now, I don't know that I can find an affordable project to start on or if I'll be able to get recycle parts to build it.

Edited by rainman19154
added commentary

Here in Chile Loyales were sold new until 93, that's the one I have, and it has MPFI non-turbo, and 5 speed D/R.

Because the US got shafted on good stuff. Other countries didn't. But you probably didn't the legacy till later. Every country gets different stuff.