Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Outback 4EAT trans swap question/help

impreza778

Im done some searching on here and Im trying to figure out what all is needed to swap an auto trans from a 1997 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5/4EAT into a 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5/4EAT. I just did a 5MT swap and it went really well, but Ive heard there were changes in the wiring in 98/99. I also have both complete cars for parts. From what Ive found, the 2000 has a final drive ratio of 4.444 but I cannot find anything about the final drive ratio on the 1997. The trans codes are: 2000: TZ1A4ZCABA and the 1997: TZ102Z2CBA. Im wondering if its possible to swap the 97 into the 00 and what wiring work would be needed? or is it possible to change the sensors from the 00 trans into the 97 and plug in and go? or any other wiring options? Also Im wondering what the final drive ratio is on the 97, worst case I can swap the rear axles too.

Thanks!

the 97 OBW will be a 4.44 final drive as well, that won't be an issue. in general subaru doesn't change transmissions very often and the 4EAT has remained similar in a lot of ways, but there are some hurdles for what you're talking about.

wiring/sensor changes between those years. the speed sensors changed but not sure of specifics. sometimes it's as simple as just swapping the sensors onto the "new" trans, but i think they added a sensor on the later ones like you're talking about.

engines are different too and the TCU does interface with the ECU. though i don't know if that's a factor or not.

Too many issues........

Different lengths (Phase II trans is about 3 in. shorter)

Different TCU, that will require more sensors than the 97 (phase I) trans has.

Missing 4 bolts on the bellhousing....not a big deal but different.

What's wrong with the Original trans? better off to fix that or get a proper phase II trans for the 2000