Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Half shaft removal 92 legacy( rusted in)

Ive done half shafts before about 10 in all from the 1 gen legacys to SVXs, but my aunts 92 legacy half shafts were not greased by the person who put them in,so splines on the half shaft have rusted to the hub making removal very difficult. I already did the passanger side, it was rusted and i ended up using a steering wheel puller to push it through. On the drivers side half shaft i tryed hitting it with a hammer, no luck, tried pushing it with the sterring wheel puller( first time broke a bolt on the sterring wheel puller, then i got stronger bolts and ripped a pice of the rotor out) I have no other ideas on how to do it. Any one have a good way?

Originally posted by Legacy777

you could try heating up the hub area.......it's not going to be good for the bearings.......but sometimes heat is the only way. Also may want to find some PB Blaster penetrating oil. It's good stuff.

I second this. Any time I have had a stuck bolt, I just take a torch to it for a few min, then try again. In between these "heat treatments", add a little bit of the penetrating oil. The heat will draw it into the threads (in your case splines), and help to loosen it. Just don't do the oil & heat at the same time. The resulting fireball can do serious damage to your eyebrows :D

Unless you plan on replacing the bearings and seals I would be very careful with the application of heat.

PB blaster works very well, but not instantly. I have had the best results on extremely rusty parts by spraying several times a day over several days. If it is visibly rusty where the axle protrudes from the hub use a wire brush to clean the rust off so the PB can get in there. Then alternate hitting with a hammer and pressing with a puller. Sometimes an air hammer will do the trick when the BFH fails. My BFH weighs 10lbs BTW. Be careful that you don't damage the axle.

I dont want to want damage the bearings any more than i have to sence they already have 190,000 on them, and i dont have a torch handy i will try this later if it comes down to it. I sprayed some penetrating mystery oil, in there right before i put it all back togher so hopefully that will help. Were getting a new rotor to put in so i guess iam going to try the pushing method again hopefully I dont break the rotor again. I think iam going to try the bfh idae but it will hard not to hit the studs, and other parts.

I don't think the heat will hurt the bearings if you're not moving but it may cook out all the grease and mess up the seals.

A Hubtamer should do the trick without heat.

I used a slide hammer, but it busted up the bearings pretty good.

Might be a good time to replace the bearings seeing it's got almost 200K.

Isn't the rotor separate from the hub????

Is it rusted on too?

Good Luck!

wrxsubaru, I feel your pain. :banghead:

I am again trying to do the rear bearings on the outback and I have the lateral link bolt out of the right side. Can't get the left one out yet. The next step on the right side is to get the axle out of the hub. Penetrating oil, BFH, heat, no luck. My stepdad is on his way with the air hammer and his massive assortment of pullers.

Why can't Subaru just put a dab of anti-sieze on this stuff!?

Man I wish I had that tool.