Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Forester XT with wawa noise coming from rear of vehicle. Took it to Subaru dealer who checked for noise and found a small noise coming from differential. Differential was changed under warranty (an 1800.00 item). Noise was still there when I drove home. Took the car back expecting bad rear wheel bearings. Dealer lifted car and listened with stethoscope , He found no noise but he suspected tires may be at fault. I took the car to Les Schwaub tire dealer. He inspected the Sumitomo tires and found uneven wear on one back and one front tire He suspected tire alignment problems. Checked alignment, it was off front and rear. I told him I wanted the quietest and best ride tires he had (this is my wifes car). He realigned the suspension and installed Toyo Eclipse tires and gave me a 160.00 trade in for the Sumitomos. The Forester is now very quiet and very comfotable riding and more responsive with the handling. I thought I was driving a totally different car. What a difference.

before they replaced the diff, did you have a LSD diff?

what about now, is it still LSD? my bet, is they gave you open, and snatched the lsd.

at least your tire noise is gone now, and better check to see if lsd is gone too.

thats all i can suspect at why they jumped so quick to replace.

I hope i am totally wrong, but that is what i would imagine for reason to so quickly swap diffs since like mentioned by wise folks, they rarely if ever fail.