Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grabber AT2s Vs. Big Horn Vs. Swampers:

TheLoyale

Thanks for the added info, opinion and Link, it all counts. I always enjoy watching Wheeling trip threads.

I know my car is clean and I like keeping it that way (No added dents) but if it did happen wheeling I think it would be ok with me (Battle Scars) I do want to take this thing off road and see what it can do (Even being a S/R 3AT) I really want to get this thing into some real mud and drive around town afterwards Lol!

So I think its gonna come down to either the Bighorns or the Grabbers in the end.

Thanks again for all the fresh opinions.

-Tom

I have grabber at2's on right now, and I love them. I've heard things from another user about them not lasting very long, but I've had mine on for around 7k miles, and haven't seen any wear. They're quiet, they come in a lot of sizes, easy to find, and best of all; inexpensive. They seem to be the most "hardcore" all-terrain.

The size I have is a 205/75/15, which is a 27.1" tire. I bought them on tirerack for just over $80 a tire. I would rather have a swamper, or a mud tire, but for the availability, size selection, and price, I couldn't beat the at2's.

Here is a picture of my car:

30m8srb.jpg

This car is my daily driver, and these tires perform perfectly for that.

It's got a 2" lift, and required some fender cutting with this size tire.

Here is another picture of them:

2w56brp.jpg

Edited by brysawn

he has 27s as do i I love them period

I have found a picture of "The Scoobys" Wagon with 27x9.5 14s. Does anyone know how much lift he has on it? I will PM him, but incase I don't get a reply does anyone else know. people who have wheeled with him or whatnot.

DSC_0666.jpg

Cause as you can see the BFG Long Trail T/As aren't the most aggressive tire Lol. But its done its job ever since - so I can't complain.

2010_0803Test0012.jpg

2010_0803Test0007.jpg

Well after some researching (Looking for pics and what not) I think when it comes down to the time I swap tires, I am gonna go with the Bighorns for the 14" pugs. I do have a Grabber as the spare tire (On top) but I just want something more aggressive - after all it is "Safariwagon"

Thank you all for helping along my decision.

-Tom

Well after some researching (Looking for pics and what not) I think when it comes down to the time I swap tires, I am gonna go with the Bighorns for the 14" pugs. I do have a Grabber as the spare tire (On top) but I just want something more aggressive - after all it is "Safariwagon"

Thank you all for helping along my decision.

-Tom

woot! :burnout:

oh and i paid $715 for four 235/75R15 from les schwab

to give ya an idea

Grabber - if your cars mostly for on pavemnet

Bighorn - if you want it to go well in mud off road

Swamper - dedicated hardcore offroad wheeler ( right now you cant get a set of new swampers , so used is your only limited choice )

myself for my daily driver ocational wheeler I prefer the Bighorn , and they are awesome offroad and look awesome on the car

Scott/Kody,

Right on! I have a local tire store that supposedly carries the Maxxis tire line. So hoping they can get the Bighorns!

I figured that it would be between $500-$800 for the tires, but they sound worth it. Surprising these BFG Long Trails I have go through alot'O stuff. My car just plows through 2-1/2" of snow like butter (Just keep the RPMs up)

You can find hankock dynapro's m/t in 215/75/15r, Surprised nobody has brought them up, they are fantasticly quiet, so ive heard. They are on my neighbors brat and look great, and for a set of 4 you are looking at about $600-700

I have a set of them 30 x950 presently on my Shotgun red wheeler good on and off road tire I would recommend them

• 2 weeks later...

Nice read. I see you made your decision in post #30, and here's more to substantiate that decision, if you need tires soon. Grabber AT2s have been on back order from the factory since August, and are still backed up until December.

cheers,

-mark-

**EDIT** I just reread and noticed you're looking for 14's. I can't speak for that size but know mad-back order is for 215x65x16.

Edited by superu

I don't think the backorder is affecting the 27x8.5x14 size as my buddy just got a set. There could be a backorder thing but most of the tire chains could have an overstock of the 14s.

Thanks for the added info though!

Nice read. I see you made your decision in post #30, and here's more to substantiate that decision, if you need tires soon. Grabber AT2s have been on back order from the factory since August, and are still backed up until December.

cheers,

-mark-

**EDIT** I just reread and noticed you're looking for 14's. I can't speak for that size but know mad-back order is for 215x65x16.

ya my wagon has 27X9.50 SSR's, i LOVE them for offroading, ive never aired down and they still go where i want.

i HATE them on the street. they wear way to fast, they are VERY loud, and they handle like crap.

im looking at going to the big horns in 30's when these wear out and when i finish my new lift.