Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GOING POSTAL!!! The de-rice/resto saga begins

What did you use to clean them up?

The JDMs on my legacy are getting a little hazed over and could use a nice polish.

I used wet sandpaper starting from 600 grit (and alot of it. There was ALOT of paint there!), then just stepped it up once I saw clear. After that, I used my orbital(important tidbit there. If you use a random orbit, you will be there for hours.) Buffer and a decent wool pad on a somewhat high speed and polished until crystal clear.

Also, out of curiosity, is your insurance more than it would be for a normal legacy? Does the steering wheel being on the wrong side jack the rates?

I got a quote from my ins company, and they said that it would cost an additional $12 to insure the car. Didn't even ask any specifics of the car. It also helps (i guess) that I have the no coverage cheapest insurance company in Texas that charges me $86 for a sheet of paper saying that I'm insured.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, I'd think it would be more for a RHD vehicle. Although from what I've heard Texas is pretty lax about inspection and insurance stuffs.

$86 a year for insurance?!

Yeah..... I pay out of my ears for insurance. I'm only 21, but full coverage for my Dodge would cost my over $450 a month. My freaking payments are only $330! I might as well buy another one, park it, and when (if) I total it, pay the other cars repairs and pull out the other truck! That's why I went with Uunta's insurance. I pay $86 a month for a piece of paper that SAYS I'm covered and keeps the cops off my bumper. It SUCKS!!!!!

Yeah..... I pay out of my ears for insurance. I'm only 21, but full coverage for my Dodge would cost my over $450 a month. My freaking payments are only $330! I might as well buy another one, park it, and when (if) I total it, pay the other cars repairs and pull out the other truck! That's why I went with Uunta's insurance. I pay $86 a month for a piece of paper that SAYS I'm covered and keeps the cops off my bumper. It SUCKS!!!!!

I'm 20, but I've owned both subarus since I was 19, and the legacy since I was 18. Right now combined for both old subarus I pay about $800 a year...

does anyone have a FSM for this car? We need to rebuild the rack (new seals) and need some guidance before diving in.

If no one on here has it, I'm sure someone on the Legacy forum does. Maybe try a search engine with "Subaru Legacy FSM PDF" or something, google does wonders! :)

does anyone have a FSM for this car? We need to rebuild the rack (new seals) and need some guidance before diving in.

There are a few FSMs floating around the interwebz for these. What year is it?

Not sure why you would want to rebuild the rack though (not even sure the FSM has instructions for how to do that). They're easy to replace, cheap from a junkyard, and they hardly ever go bad.

I have Geico but use AAA plus for towing

You should call Nationwide. I was with Geico for 5 years. When I turned 25 my insurance went up, completely opposite of what I've been told by everyone (including Geico, for the past 4 years whenever I've called them to ask for a lower rate) about insurance rates going down when you turn 25.

I called Nationwide, along with a few other places looking for better rates. Nationwide doubled my coverages (liability, collision, and comprehensive), and still gave me a better rate than Geico. Not hard to figure out who my insurance carrier is now. :rolleyes:

There are a few FSMs floating around the interwebz for these. What year is it?

Not sure why you would want to rebuild the rack though (not even sure the FSM has instructions for how to do that). They're easy to replace, cheap from a junkyard, and they hardly ever go bad.

You should call Nationwide. I was with Geico for 5 years. When I turned 25 my insurance went up, completely opposite of what I've been told by everyone (including Geico, for the past 4 years whenever I've called them to ask for a lower rate) about insurance rates going down when you turn 25.

I called Nationwide, along with a few other places looking for better rates. Nationwide doubled my coverages (liability, collision, and comprehensive), and still gave me a better rate than Geico. Not hard to figure out who my insurance carrier is now. :rolleyes:

umm RHD. Not common at all

and I have nationwide also and love it! I took off my truck and added the forester and it dropped to 109/mo

umm RHD. Not common at all

The ones I have cover both LH and RH models. :grin:

This site has 97 99 and 2000, though they seem to be incomplete. http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

lol just checked nationwide and I'd save $10 over geico..

Yeah the difference for me was only about 25 bucks. It was about $70 until I asked about better coverage. When I found out I could double my coverage, and get some other goodies I didn't have with my Geico policy, and still pay less, I had to do it. Plus it's also a new policy, the rate will decrease a bit at each renewal for the next couple of years.

Edited by Fairtax4me

ya, I love it because even at that price, I get un/under-insured motorist coverage, so if some no license/no insurance dumb a$$ hits me, I'm not just screwed. and I get premium towing and roadside assistance :banana:

Edited by Ricearu

The ones I have cover both LH and RH models. :grin:

This site has 97 99 and 2000, though they seem to be incomplete. http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Yeah the difference for me was only about 25 bucks. It was about $70 until I asked about better coverage. When I found out I could double my coverage, and get some other goodies I didn't have with my Geico policy, and still pay less, I had to do it. Plus it's also a new policy, the rate will decrease a bit at each renewal for the next couple of years.

i have found the fsm for these and yes they do cover rhd and lhd, but we can't just run to the junk yard and pick up a new rack for it lol. thats what I was saying ummm rhd to.

It's a good thing that this car is totally worth the massive amount of work it needs. I'm going about an hour north next sunday to pick up a set of sti struts for $100 to replace the BLOWN set currently on the car. It should look so much sexier dropped a bit. I was thinking about picking up a set of scion tc six twin spoke wheels and painting them a gloss black, paint the car flat black, and when I get the brake conversion, paint all the calipers sti pink. What do you think?

I have pneumonia, so I stared at clay (xanadu) while he put his $100 set of STI struts on this machine. Man it dropped it kinda sexy and it sure isn't bouncy as hell anymore. all the others were BLOWN, and were in dire need of replacement anyways and to pick up a set of sti's for a bill is a steal anyways I will take pics of it later, its cold and raining now and I am sick so I am keeping my rump roast inside for the time being