Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GOING POSTAL!!! The de-rice/resto saga begins

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ow my rice hurts, tell xan thanks for saving it from "jdm l33t hotzorz". sti struts = win, lol tape painted haze lenses = loss i need a better shot of that polish though so i can see if xan still has the touch. :lol: i fell compelled to show off my brighton now.. might stop being lazy and post that... what number wagaru is that? i thought mine was 8, but shoot i might be 9 or 10 :eek:

sneaks long distance high five.

To be fair, I kinda lost count of which one this is. I just got it because I know it will run forever, and it's just plain weird! Just ordered the steering rebuild from rockauto a half hour ago, and I'm about to paypal punchthefish $100 for a rear spoiler once he replies to my email. This should be a really fun car when I get done building it. It's good to hear from you man (returns hi 5). What's been goin' on?

don't forget inner tie rods too!

time to yank a rack.

the headlights look dope, and yes he still has the touch, he did jamie's bugeye wrx and they look better than whoever does them for cransh, where you hit the pole and he bought the car lol!

IMAG0379.jpg

Pic from weekend before last,

That Friday night (10-29-10), Me and Jamie drove to Waco to get a spare trans, Jamie and Clay disassembled the car Saturday afternoon while I coughed and stupervised, Me and Jamie tore the trans apart, he blew his viscous center diff and damaged his rear output shaft inside the trans. spare trans had blown 2nd gear, I took two and made 1, never split a suby manual before, hella straightforward, replaced all seals while in there, washed out the case with solvent to get all the shiny's out. assembled the trans and was done around dark so 7:30pm on sunday, car was running at 3am... what a friggen weekend (all while I had pneumonia....)

man i been driving in these mountain roads, thats what! lol words cant describe. it's like fm 917, condensed, and for miles and miles, lol. but thats not really adequate, just as close as i can get. glad to see the subaru brotherhood in texas is strong. rice, stop getting pnumonia. xan, glad to see the headlights free and clear. you'll love your subaru for e'er and e'er. subarus are like a virus, you pass it along, then it spreads. if i make it to texas for december i'll swing by, we eat tacos, game on. lol your car is comin along great. i wish i could come and help you paint it, God willing it would turn out better than a certain prez or previous postal wagon. :rolleyes: the fenders for the teg turned out good, lol i feel vindicated. do you have a roll cover? somehow where im workin we end up with a ton of spare roll covers for all manner of wagon, so if i have a spare and you need one, let me know and i'll see if i have one for ur car. i found one for mine in the attic at the shop, same color and everything :banana: also, theres a guy with an ob with a straight body for 500 down the road if your wanting to make a road trip, might need a motor, have a spare at the shop lol

IT GOT A NEW WINDSHIELD AND A PAPER TAG. Clay is gonna pull the P/S rack and rebuild it tomorrow, also replace the inner tie rods. I will upload pics in the pm tomorrow.:)

Also, this morning, he put 1/2" spacers in the rear struts to correct some of the "wagon sagg"

I will be replacing my front wheel bearings and brakes, then bleeding the system, valve cover gaskets, oil change, and maybe soon, HOPEFULLY, I will get around picking up my T-stat from Subaru that I paid for last WEEK, and change it/flush my coolant

Edited by Ricearu

Out of interest, does this car have a similar exhaust manifold to your LHD ones?

Reason I ask is that our (RHD) legacies have a different system to your LHD ones. From what I've seen, yours go under the engine crossmember and join like the leone ones do. Ours are nearly the same as a turbo model -- they join in fornt of the oil sump, and the pipe goes up over the engine cross member and front axle on the right side. No idea why...

new windshields are always hot, but was the old one shot? i must have missed that. whatever it looks boss, good work. did y'all set it, or have the glass guy do it? coming along well, oh and nice domo :banana:

the glass guy did it, check page 1, it was demolished by the p.o. I think the hood made sweet crunchy love with it. It needed to be driveable. its a cop magnet but it's driveable.

cop magnet yes, but is it legal? lol that car is dope. joo guys have a turkey day fire festival out back? i spent thanks giving making some texas DEATH MEX chili, and drinking ipa. anywho, xan, if you need anything on this one let me know, i'll do what i can from my remote mountain command center. there are a ton'o'subes here so i may have access to some things that you dont. gotta drive "down there" to get em, but it might be worth it for some tough to find bits. :D anywho happy building, and please please keep this thing updated :banana:

I know.... Been a while since I posted. I ripped the rack out of the car last week. Had to take off the header, misc random crap and swaybar to even begin. Are we all ready for disappointment? The inners and outers were both good. The inners wouldn't unscrew from the outers, so I tried hitting the outer on the driver side out. I tried to save it by putting a nut onto the stud coming out of the knuckle and hitting that instead of a threaded stud. I stripped the nut and mushroomed the stud before it even budged. I finally got a pickle fork and had to bludgeon it almost all the way to the hilt to bust the end free. I started to dissect the rack, saved the one good bellow, and looked closely at the teeth on the rack itself. It looks as if whoever owned this car before parked next to a curb and tried to turn the wheels to lock. The teeth on the middle of the rack (and I imagine all the way around the pinion gear to) are all chewed up and uneven. I'm willing to bet that that is what busted the seals inside as well. I didn't know how to remove the pinion gear, so I just stopped there, but not before noticing something kind of particular. I had the rack turned upside down and saw a number 54 etched into the machine face. I'm willing to bet that the internals for the LHD and RHD are virtually the same! If not, I might just be taking someone elses advice and turning a LHD rack upside down and beating some makeshift mounts into submission to hold it at the necessary angle. Cheaper that buying a remanned $550 part...

Edited by Xanadu62

• 3 weeks later...

An even MORE depressing update. I lost my job, am a month behind on my truck payments, have less than no money, and the car has been sitting in my front yard for over a month now. I told my boss about my epilepsy (yes, I do. And yes, it sucks), and not even one week later, he doesn't schedule me to work and asks me to come talk to him later. I show up and it turns out that he left before the time that he said for me to meet him. I called him and he told me that he couldn't afford to pay me, and that I was the last person hired, so I should pick up my check later. I go to pick up my check, and I see a truck that I don't recognize and the driver in the employee parking, and the bastard won't even come down and hand me the check personally. All I wanted to do at first was talk and see if there was any way I could keep my job, but now I want to set everything he owns on fire and burn his business to the ground. I just can't stand dishonest cowardly little pricks who talk out of every side of their mouth. This has happened twice now. Do you think I am justified in wanting this guy dead? Anyways, WAY off topic. I'll post up pics of the rack when I get it ordered if I ever get another steady job and if I still have a truck to drive...

i had a similar situation at a shop my dad had worked at all through me growing up. it was great to work with my dad every day. turns out my little brother and the "boss'" son went to school together and didnt get along. when this little punk got a summer "job" cleaning the grounds he made it a point to mess with my stereo, tools etc. i got let go a week after telling the kid not to touch my effin stuff. the guy wouldnt talk to me either, so when i came back to get my check/tools later it was a smoke show to be remembered.

moral of the story: let karma handle it, its better that way.

good luck man, RV

• 1 month later...

Ok. Time for a quick update. I got a new tie rod for it, and redid the rear brakes. The shes on the drivers side were worn so thin that the material was literally paper thin and falling off of the metal. The passenger side was in much better shape, but I figured out why when I took the drum off. The spring for the adjuster and the adjuster itself had fallen off inside the drum. That would explain why the E-brake didn't work to begin with. I called autozone sunday morning, and they said that they could get the parts in (shoes, hardware kit, and tie rod) by the afternoon. $70+ dollars later, I have a running and driving car again with the same crappy steering, but with a freaking awesome E-brake! Oddly enough, the new shoes DIDN'T come with a new clip to secure the new pin that DID come in the box. Anyone who's done drums knows that those clips are IMPOSSIBLE to salvage. I had to get the thing running though. It's insured and paid for unlike my truck which I had to borrow a large chunk of change just to keep. Stupid Durkas don't know how to treat their employees., but I cant find a job anywhere else at the moment. I would at LEAST like to work in a field that I was trained and certified for (collision repair), but no one is willing to give me a chance or even train me as a helper. Everyone want's "Experience", even for the helper position. Anyways, I'm driving it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. I figured out the REAL reason that the AWD doesn't work. Not only is that tranny flashing a code 16, but while I was putting the exhaust on last, I noticed that the rear diff isn't connected to anything. The driveshaft is GONE!!! I really hope this new job calls me soon so I can resume working on the car instead of driving it into the ground...

Dunno. My only guess is that it was doing what Ricearu's lego was doing. His car had a habbit of skipping dutys A and B and just go straight into full lock for the rear shaft. Felt like a neutral drop with a compliment of front tire squeal. I picked the car up from a bunch of ricers who trashed it. They even cut off the muffler and didn't weld another back on. Not to mention the E-brake was completely useless and it was rolling on a doughnut.

• 2 weeks later...

And now for the real reason that it doesn't have AWD. It was swapped. Either the tranny, or the whole set was swapped out with a FWD prez (it's what we guessed). I wired up a torque converter lockup switch 'cause the TC would lock up for less that 30 seconds every trip, and I was getting pissed off at it. I also wired up a dutyC lockup switch so that I could find a driveshaft later on and have my AWD. There's only one way to find out if it works in this case. I lifted the front of the car and took a look. Ricearu saw that it had a plug on the back of the tranny and no shaft at all!!! That's also probably why it's throwing a transmission code. I don't think they swapped the TCU, so it's looking for stuff that just isn't there. On a positive note, When I lifted the car, I used the front tow hook (or lack thereof because they chopped them off for some idiotic reason) and lifted the car as much a possible with a 3 ton jack. The opposing shock compressed, and the other side of the car came up with it. It was nearly level! Only one click of a jack stand difference. Subaru Chassis stiffness FTMFW!!!!!