Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 intake/exhaust

As everyone knows, the stock air cleaner is quite restrictive. I was wondering if it would help the throttle response any to open it up around the filter, keeping in sealed, but removing as much as possible. I looked around and didn't find any pictures of mods to the stock box, or anyone saying it does anything noticeable.

I took off the warm up flap, and is that little vacuum plunger supposed to have oil in it? It was clean, but it doesn't seem like it should have motor oil in there. the PCV filter has stayed pretty clean, so I don't think it's from blow-by

the motor has 220,000 on it, and still starts right up(when the starter works) I just want to improve upon it's power a little if I can. I'm saving up for an EJ swap but I'm just until the motor drops dead. but in the mean time, I'd like to work with what I have.

Also, I have an exhaust leak behind the rear tire, past the last bend in the exhaust before the muffler. It's not very big, but I've noticed it revs easier and gets to highway speeds a little better. Is there any noticeable gain from lopping off the muffler(besides noise)?

Anyone have a starter for an auto ea82 by chance? it's an 87, I cleaned the contacts on mine but they're about gone. The junkyard here just crushed EVERYTHING in the yard that isn't an old American car.

As everyone knows, the stock air cleaner is quite restrictive. Not true, I've flow benched the entire intake assembly from snorkus to the valves, a dirty filter changes the flow less than 1 cfm. I was wondering if it would help the throttle response any to open it up around the filter, keeping in sealed, but removing as much as possible. I looked around and didn't find any pictures of mods to the stock box, or anyone saying it does anything noticeable.

I took off the warm up flap, and is that little vacuum plunger supposed to have oil in it? It was clean, but it doesn't seem like it should have motor oil in there. the PCV filter has stayed pretty clean, so I don't think it's from blow-by

the motor has 220,000 on it, and still starts right up(when the starter works) I just want to improve upon it's power a little if I can. I'm saving up for an EJ swap but I'm just until the motor drops dead. but in the mean time, I'd like to work with what I have.

Also, I have an exhaust leak behind the rear tire, past the last bend in the exhaust before the muffler. It's not very big, but I've noticed it revs easier and gets to highway speeds a little better. Is there any noticeable gain from lopping off the muffler(besides noise)?

Anyone have a starter for an auto ea82 by chance? it's an 87, I cleaned the contacts on mine but they're about gone. The junkyard here just crushed EVERYTHING in the yard that isn't an old American car.

your car is slow because its old, and has an auto tranny behind it.

cutting off the muffler will make it louder, not much but I drove without one for 3 years. it won't add much if any power, but it does sound better.

Yep - there's no silver bullet for performance on the EA82's - cams are probably your best bet followed by exhaust to match.

In stock form the best intake and exhaust in the world will net you maybe 1% performance increase. Not worth the expenditure for either.

I agree with Noah - your car is old, automatic, and only had 90 HP to begin with. It's not a race car.

GD

the stock air cleaner is NOT restrictive I have used Subaru air cleaner housings with new bases on dual carb Datsuns they flow just fine. before tossing rocks at the air cleaner and exhaust perhaps take a look at your intentions.

if you are wanting a high performance car the EA series engine will not meet any of your goals. if you want good reliable go just about anywhere fun then an EA series will do. they just wont do it fast.

Not true, I've flow benched the entire intake assembly from snorkus to the valves, a dirty filter changes the flow less than 1 cfm.

Well, there's that saying about assuming things...

I've heard from a few people that the stock boxes block flow, but I suppose looks can be deceiving.

...and only had 90 HP to begin with
I beg to differ! According to Wikipedia, the carby EA82 only has 84HP stock. I know very well it's not a race car(even though it totally looks like one) :cool: Just seeing if I could make it breathe better with sharp things.

I would love to get a 5 speed D/R, but it's rare to find one that doesn't have close to 300K on it. I even found an 86 with 490K on it in the yard here.

As for the starter, it just clicks loudly, and takes a few turns on the ignition switch to get it to go. It's a really old Napa starter, I need a new one, and I'm hoping to get a manual in there before I have to actually spend money on the auto.

I would concentrate on handling rather than power XT6 bars all round swap rear control arms if you don't already have a bar in back. Take advantage of the relative lightness of the subaru design. sure the top speed and acceleration won't beat much but in the twisties you can show them your tailpipe.