Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would a leaking filler neck cause stalling/rough idle? 96 OBW

My '96 OBW has been off the road since spring, due to being "totaled" in an accident (it still runs and drives). I was going to start the bodywork this morning, but it wouldn't start. I got it to start on ether, but it would die once the ether ran out, so I figured a fuel issue. Added 5 gallons of gas to the tank. After that, it would start, but would only idle for 20 seconds or so before dying. I could keep it running by holding the pedal down, but it would run rough and spew unburnt gas out of the exhaust.

I left it sit for a few hours (got called away) and when I got back there's a puddle of gas under the right rear tire. It looks like the filler neck, though I haven't pulled it apart to confirm.

Would a leak like that cause the engine problems? Or should I be looking somewhere else for those?

The CEL has been on for a long time (PO420 oxygen sensor) and I don't have a code reader to check if there are any other codes in there.

Thanks,

Andy

In and of itself, a hole in the filler neck shouldn't have that much impact on running.

How hot did it get where the car was stored for the last several months? The more volatile portions of gas can evaporate (especially if there's a hole in the filler neck), and what's left behind doesn't ignite as easily. If there was a significant amount of fuel already in the tank, then adding five gallons of fresh gas to it probably wouldn't make enough of a difference if indeed the rest of it was in poor condition.

Getting the code(s) read could be helpful, as might draining the tank and using completely fresh gas.

By the way, if the car was stored where "critters" could get to it, look around for chewed wires and hoses.

Think I got it figured... the PCV hose got disconnected when I had the airbox apart. Only started it briefly (since the filler tube is out) but it seemed to run fine. Duh...

The filler tube has 6 or7 holes in it- guess I'm buying a new one. Looks too thin in a lot of places to be worth repairing.

Thanks for the reply,

Andy

Think I got it figured... the PCV hose got disconnected when I had the airbox apart. Only started it briefly (since the filler tube is out) but it seemed to run fine. Duh...

So it was due to a "critter" and a hose -- but the "critter" wasn't of the 4-legged variety. :)

The filler tube has 6 or7 holes in it- guess I'm buying a new one. Looks too thin in a lot of places to be worth repairing.

Agreed, it's a common problem, might as well replace it

Thanks for the reply,

Andy

You're welcome.