Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi.

I have a rusty 93 FWD Legacy wagon with 162k miles on it. I am considering replacing it with a less used legacy wagon. There seems to be a great deal of useful information here but I am wondering about engine types. Would greatly appreciate any input on the follwing motors and which model years they are in.

EJ series

the maligned Phase I

Phase II

TIA

Thanks. I should clarify, I am asking about the motors in the later models (1993-2005) as I gather they have been less reliable. In fact any opinions for or against Legaciy models 1993-2005 would be welcome.

Originally posted by Legacy777

Not exactly sure what info you're looking for.

All the engines in the 1990-1994 normally aspirated legacies are the same. The 2.2 was changed in 95, and I believe the 2.5 was introduced around that time too.

engine Subaru ever built. They really made thier rep on this engine.

I have a late model 2.5 SOHC that I got on advice from this board

who advised me to stay away from the DOHC 2.5 engine.

The last few 2.2s had some odd things about them and I believe they are interference engines.I have been told they must run premium fuel.

If you have limited cash the best car out there to me is a 2.2 before premium fuel engines that is a manual.

The automatics can have torque bind problems but if they have been retrofitted with the new bits would be OK.

Perhaps some of you experts can expand on this.

If you have big bucks a post 03 legacy should be fine.