Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going up to 11 inches lift and taking the T case plunge

subarubrat

While visiting the BRAT at the body shop today I did my final measurements and decided on my new configuration. I am going up to 11 inches total lift and going with the Nissan T case. The tires are being moved up to 33in X 16in wide swampers. I should have some pics up of the completed body work in a week or so.

I hate to loose the front wheel drive but I think the benefits will be worth it.

good luck with the stub axles! all i have is a beefed up ea81 and have broken 2 in the last month and a 1/2. i was originally going to go 33" tall tires. but with 31's and the compound gearing of the second tcase. boom! i don't like that sound or the repair. but it's worth it. after i get the chromolly steel axles made. i'll go to 33" tall tires. right now i'm going with the 31" wrangler mt/r's. 33" tires after i get beefed up stub axles. i've also grenaded one of the outer cv's on the front end, so the side with the spindle half the cup is missing. there's a lot of compund torque on those stubs. be careful..

along with that using that wide of a tire is going to help towards breaking those stub axles.

8" seems plenty sufficient. i've already almost rolled my car a few times. and i have 4 inches of tire sticking out of the fenders. which helps for trying to keep it from rolling over. your just trying to compete with the rest of us, huh? :D gotta have the biggest? you heard mike is going to be going 10 so you went 11, and heard 12 was too much. 8" was perfect and anything over 10 is crazy. and unpractical in my opinion, not that it matters.

I think practical is a relative thing at this point. I am full and prepared to break and repalce more things, part of the game..

I am sure my handeling will take a hit but right now it is FAR better than stock at 8 inches. I haven't just left the suspension stock, the spring rate is much higher so you don't get the bobble and sway. The adjustable shocks are a huge help in going from a compliant suspension to a stiff road going suspension.

wider is better

bratroad1.jpg

They would but at that point you are replacing rather than enhancing what is there, you may as well just put the BRAT body on a CJ7 chassis.

Since I am going T case I can feed the thing with any engine and tranny that will fit. I gave some real thought to an Isuzu or cummins 4cyl turbo diesel. But in the end I decided I had to keep it Subaru powered.

what the t-case mod does is basically makes the drive train like on a Chevy pickup

still uses CV's up front.

The car will drive with rear wheel drive, and then when you engage 4wd through the T-case, it becomes 4x4.

T-case = No more front wheel drive

Are you going to the Carslile PA show in May? Check out the thread stickied at the top of the forum for details. I will be there with the BRAT and at the very least the full body job will be done. Unless things just get crazy I should have the Tcase and 3 more inches lift in.

But as for being done,,, the truck is never done.

I hear ya on it never being done.

Also glad to see your making the plunge. It's a good mod to do, and you really don't have to worry bout much with the ER.

Did you grab the shaft from the nissan tranny to the T-case? With that, you don't have to do a lot of work, it plugs right into the Subaru tranny. I got both my drivelines made up for a Benjy, thats making the rear one, shortening the Nissan front one, and replaceing the front U-joints. Not too shabby. Keeps the pics flowin!!!