Ultimate Subaru Message Board

East African Safari Rally

soobydoo

Just a wild thought.....can enter as Team USMB.....for all the real rally drivers out there.The next one is a year away,we can get a couple of EA81s for the Classic Rally and then EA82s and EJs for the regular 4-5 day Rally...hopefully we can do this.(I know another USMB member from Baltimore,MD who is also interested).Some of us are originally native to the region so can easily work out details such as on the ground logistics like acqusition of vehicles(rather than shipping cars across the globe just for the rally),shops/garages for any mods,tools,work needed,leisure,the do's and dont's...etc.Best part is the safari part.In response to the the many questions that may arise like funding(in response to TURBONE below),we can register a local(citizen)as the main driver and have one of us(non locals)as navigator also known as co-driver(the rest as service crew...aka the pitcrew at the track races).This makes it cheaper for registration purposes since they have different prices for local and international entries.The other USMB member I mentioned here owns a Tours and Travel Company in Kenya and would be willing to work out the travel logistics at a possible discounted price and would help with accommodation arrangements.If we do different rallies,then other drivers get to take the main drivers slot...it doesnt have to be the Safari Rally,could be any one of the other foreign rallies.I chose the Safari Rally due to obvious bias(thats my place of origin)and also because it is one of the most gruelling rallies of all time...pushing machines to the limit.We can do this for the rally in Iceland,and other parts of Europe.By the way,I do have a family too...may the real rally drivers out there stand up?!

Edited by soobydoo
added more info

Seriously?

Most of us have families and dont have bottomless bank accounts.

Sounds like joining the Foreign Legion :rolleyes:

What he said. Besides with the unstable governments in Africa, I have no desire to go there for any reason. Sorry to rain on your parade. However, if you get this done, I'll cheer you on while you're over there. Best of luck.

:grin::grin:...''What he said. Besides with the unstable governments in Africa, I have no desire to go there for any reason''...:-\:-\

Personal opinion well respected...still counting on your moral support and cheers.Not to go too much down the memory lane and into AFRICAN history but just a brief outlook on how much the rally means to some of us.By the way,East Africa has maintained lots of stability after the much needed unhoisting of the Union Jack in the very early sixties.This rally has been running consistently and annually since 1953(was known then as the Coronation Rally later to be known as East African Safari Rally).Now they have the regular Safari Rally and the Classic Safari Rally...the latter being strictly for cars made before 1975.The founder,Englishman ERIC 'BWANA' CECIL actually just made his FINAL victory a few days ago,in KENYA where he chose to live...may he R.I.P.

For some of us,this was a once a year event that we looked forward to...comparable to something like the SuperBowl...only that it lasted a few days around EASTER time.We had a chance to watch the SUBARU rallying greats such as MIKE KIRKLAND(who chose to settle in KENYA too),SHEKAR MEHTA...and the likes...at a time when SUBARU decided to introduce the RX to combat AUDI which had been running the 1.8T QUATTRO...while TOYOTA had been running the twin cam ALL TRAC CELICA...MAZDA had the 1.8 GTX....etc.

Perhaps I may never achieve my team USMB dream at the rally,but it is still my intention to invite some willing USMB members who wanna test their rallying skills in more challenging conditions,and participate in some of the local rally events.

Edited by soobydoo
wording

How about this:

Get the Score Baja 2010 rule book and see what class a stock subie would fit in.

Prep said subie to the standards of that racing class.

spend the 2-20 thousand on getting a team down there and pay fees, food, gas, hotels, parts, support.......

Its closer, easier to get to, and if you're like the rest of us, and not made of money, a lot more realistic.

ya I'm not against the safari idea but... baja 1000 is the perfect race... it's very home build freindly... Perhaps even a good trial for anyone that wanted to do the safari or other simular race. Alot of people without alot of money do the baja, and they race everything from motorcycles to unmodified beetles.

Good points all well taken and opinions much respected...keep them coming,am sure there will be some middle ground...will talk to the other member and see what we can come up with...he is currently travelling abroad.Am still researching on the Baja rally.I believe that there were some awesome pictures here from Iceland when I first joined the board,anyone know/is in touch with that specific member?I hear that they have an awesome rally there too.Cheers,for all your $0.02.

• 1 month later...

i want to do it

ive help with team who have done it, never had a problem. security for events like this is very tight in africa. but then again i do belive the fact we were always introduced as australians helped, they do have predisposition to americas (no offence)

there are a lot of events i want to do

-dakar

-baja

-austrlaisian safari

-the 'ring

-european rallies

just a matter of money and a car, back the forester idea me thinks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so where did this go?

just throwing this out there would anyone be interested in sponsoring my offroad car?

im based in australia where we sort of have a SUV offroad series and im getting the craving to build a forester.

on another note, we have a car heading to East african safari this year, Datsun 260Z

• 2 months later...