Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mildly built EJ22

Mr. Brat

So I just put my mildly built EJ22 in the brat tonight. I was wonderin if anyone would have guess about the hp it may be putting out.

93 EJ22

delta tourqe grind

everything is gasket matched

intake and exhuast ported

cold air intake

no cat

magnaflow exhaust

I had a EJ18 in it before the swap, now I cant even keep my 28" tires on the ground in first gear. Either they are smokin and hopping off the ground.

Any guesses? I am hopeing for about 150ish hp out of it. Going to get it dyno's soon to be sure.

Are you keeping the stock redline?

I'd guess stock or stock+10hp assuming the headwork was done well.

With those mods (especially the torque cams), I bet your area under the curve is substantially increased, but I doubt your peak has increased much if at all. With a higher redline, the HP cams instead of the torque cams, and your headwork, you'd probably get more HP, but the area under the curve might be smaller.

Jacob

P.S. Standard renob123 disclaimer applies here: I'm not an expert, but I read a lot and have done some stuff. Don't replace actual thinking with anything I say, and be sure to check with experts on stuff you aren't sure about.

you cant keep tires on the ground due to the ej torque. probably about 235 tq.

a ej22t is like 245lb foot of torque at 2150 rpm stock and you are probably seeing near those figures with your mods. and a 4cylinder with that torque is impressive, not many other car makers can do that. boxer 4 for the win.

I'm trying not to be discouraging. When people ask about what HP a motor will make they're referring to peak HP. I doubt your peak HP has changed much. Take a look at this dyno plot on Cobb's website:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3256

They're claiming somewhat modest peak HP gains from their "Stage 1" Accessport, but if you look at the dyno plot, you see that there are broad gains all across the graph. The peak HP increase (which is the number you were asking for) doesn't include all of the streetable power that you may have obtained.

Here is a good post addressing torque for NA Subarus. I don't know much about that guy, but I think it's a good read, even though it's not perfectly relevant to this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28778099&postcount=11

I think r_kirky was trying to point out that gains claimed by a manufacturer of a thing that they're trying to sell aren't the best guide, and that you can't add the claimed gains (or multiply the percentage gains) to get a realistic number. 10hp+10hp doesn't always equal 20hp, and 140hp*1.1*1.1 won't always equal ~170hp.

Again, I'm just relaying my basic understanding of things, and I'm not trying to be discouraging.

Jacob

I was thinking a little more than that, being that "usually" intake adds 10%, exhaust adds 10% and so on.

Very unlikely. Intake and exhaust are not very resrictive on an EJ22. If you don't beleive me - just look at the intake and exhaust on the EJ25's - they are very little different. Yes the heads have larger ports that flow better, etc - but the intake plumbing, throttle body, etc are not the restrictions that people think they are.

CIA is worth nothing, and dangerous besides....

My head guys say there's just no point in port/polish work on the EJ22 heads - they don't benefit from it enough to bother.

The torque cams you used will probably DECREASE peak HP but will give a significant increase in off-idle torque. That will make it accelerate harder at lower RPM's - which definitely increases the fun factor of the engine.

You aren't making *more* power - you are just moving it around in the RPM range. Low-end grunt is nice for anything up to about 65 MPH. After that it won't make much difference - but frankly I would rather daily drive a car that can get to 65 MPH quick than one that can do 100 MPH and still be pulling like a frieght train - I can't legally go that fast on public roads so it's irrelevant to me :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

You guys just might be right on that. They hp gain may be illrelevent, but the tourqe factor has greatly increased!:grin:. But either way, I still want to get it dyno'd just to know. And GD, the p.a.p. didn't really matter. I had the motor sitting in the shop and I completely resealed it. So it was all apart and I figured, why not. It was a great experience and I am happy with the outcome. It is a fast super tourqy daily driver! Has a huge fun factor!