Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My ej22 swap therad.

So I guess my ej22 swap has started... It's not gonna be till next summer I drop the motor in, but I may as well start a thread now for questions.

I just got a free harness out of a 97 impreza, so phase 1 ej22. I have computer, etc.

Good chance I'll be getting the engine with it as well, unsure of the running condition I'm going to design some system of running it before I drop it in the car. The deal is I pay for it if it runs well...

Sometime next week I'm going to start stripping the harness down to just what I need to run the engine and cruise control. It has the control unit for it, so I may as well keep the wiring as well.

In the mean time I'm going to be looking for the wiring diagrams. Maybe it's a bit early to start a thread now when the engine won't go into the car until next summer, but I'm going to spend the winter gathering parts so it can be a quick, easy, and clean swap when the snow goes away and my Legacy is back on the road. I can't stand messy/nasty wiring, so I'm going to take my time with making the wiring pretty.

It's going into my 89 GL. Probably after winter because I'll need it for winter. It has an ea81 in it now, so I'm not worried about engine failure or anything like that., just want more power.

I'm going to be picking up the engine tomorrow. Free unless it works... Interesting deal he doesn't know how it runs. So I'm going to make a run-in stand so I can test it out. I'll probably start work on that once I get the harness stripped down.

I still need to find a wiring manual for the 97 impreza, but life has been incredibly crazy right now and I haven't searched to hard. At least all the parts for the swap are coming together, harness and tomorrow the engine is the majority of it. Then it's just to figure out the flywheel/clutch setup and adapter plate. I've been reading up on a bunch of swap threads. There's always that stupid thing you didn't think you need and it takes you by surprise, but I'm hoping by reading other's experience with the swap I can get past most of the road blocks.

I'm probably going to use a after market header, or stock on or something and build the rest of the exhaust myself.

Edited by 987687

So, I don't believe my harness matches my engine... I'm fairly certain the engine is out of a 97 impreza, and the ECU has markings (from someone) that I believe imply it's a 98. I figured since the switch to phase 2 wasn't until 99 sometime it wouldn't be an issue. But ... I dunno now.

I need to figure out if the ECU will run that engine, then maybe I could go to a junk yard and get the correct connectors from some car so I can plug together. or something... I'm a bit upset it doesn't fit together. It's just going to make it more work.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoulda updated before. It's a phase 2 harness, but phase1 engine. I have yet to make it to the junk yard to get either a phase1 harness, or a phase 2 intake manifold. I'm hoping the weather lets up a bit this week so I can do that. And get a few parts for my legacy while I'm there.

I shoulda updated before. It's a phase 2 harness, but phase1 engine. I have yet to make it to the junk yard to get either a phase1 harness, or a phase 2 intake manifold. I'm hoping the weather lets up a bit this week so I can do that. And get a few parts for my legacy while I'm there.

Phase II intake won't bolt to the Phase I heads.

You need to use a harness and ECU from a Phase I engine.

Thanks Gloyale, I was informed by somebody that the phase 2 manifold would bolt up... I'm glad I didn't try to go that route!!!

It doesn't matter if I get a DOHC 2.5 harness, or a OBD2 phase 1 ej22 harness, right? People do the swap in outbacks all the time so I don't see why it would matter.

My engine has EGR, so that gives me freedom in that if I get a harness from an EGR car it'll be happy. or if it's from a car without EGR I can just take the ERG off my engine and it'll still be happy.